Which Timer for Hayward Super Pump 1.5 Single Speed ?

Apr 8, 2009
Have a Hayward Super Pump 1.5 hp single speed pumping on the way and want to install a timer to run pump automatically over night.

I've been looking at Intermatic's site, but have no idea which timer is the right timer.

Don't need much, just start at this time - stop at this time.

Will hard wire timer.

Pump electrical info below.

You can use a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) on both 120 and 240 volt. SPST is just like your light switch in the wall. It interrupts one wire in one position. It would interrupt the hot side on a 120 volt and either of the two hot legs of the 240 volt. On 240 it works, it just isn't the safest.
For 240 it's better and a bit more expensive to go with a DPST. It's double pole and would interrupt both hot legs. It prevents someone from checking the switched leg and seeing zero voltage thinking the circuit is dead or off when the one unswitched leg it still HOT !!

200px-Relay_symbols.svg.png

Last edited:
+1 on the intermatic being a tank. I'm still using one my dad used to use for a plug in car heater back in the 70's !!
If you go with an Intermatic you just need to add an "R" to the end of the part number for the water resistant outdoor model. As in T104R or T101R. Depending on your setup if it's mounted outside near the pump it's handy to use the manual switch inside the timer to switch the pump ON and OFF as you are backwashing, rinsing and returning to filter as the pump should be shut off before rotating the multiport valve to prevent damage.

Here are some wiring instructions if needed: http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-T104-Intermatic-timer.html#T104

The Intermatic T104 is good for 230 volt circuits, and the Intermatic T101 is good for 115 volt circuits. Those are the two classic mechanical timers, they just keep on working.

So, why are there 2 voltage options listed on the pump? I'm guessing this means it can be connected via a 115 or 230 volt terminal, which would dictate which timer to get (101 vs 104) so I need to figure out which voltage is going to be used when installing the pump.

NO!! You need to know what is coming out of the main circuit breaker box and hook the motor up to match. If not and you want to change you need to check and change anything not comparable with what you have now to the voltage you want to change to.
The size needed for the wire itself, 120 volt needs a larger wire to carry the current. If it's 120 now and you want to go 240 you are good. If you're 240 and you want to go 120 it might not be big enough.

The circuit breaker and the GFI or the circuit breaker GFI are best sized for the need and 120 volts will take more amps. The 240 volt system has more "pressure" to push compared to the 120 volt so it requires fewer amps.
You would need to ensure you have a correctly sized circuit breaker and or GFI. If you are going 120 to 240 you need a new breaker.

Most pumps will offer a 120 or 240 connection on the motor. The voltage the motor runs on is determined by how you hook the wires up to it. I think ... guess some of the newer VS (variable speed) pumps might only be 240 from what I've read. Don't have one and haven't worked on one so I'm not sure. The other thing is the horse power of the motor. Small ones are often only 120 and the higher ones only 240.

This is more trouble than it's worth :) . . . what voltage are you running now and do you want to change ?? Much easier to answer that then try to explain all the differences.

NO!! You need to know what is coming out of the main circuit breaker box and hook the motor up to match. If not and you want to change you need to check and change anything not comparable with what you have now to the voltage you want to change to.
The size needed for the wire itself, 120 volt needs a larger wire to carry the current. If it's 120 now and you want to go 240 you are good. If you're 240 and you want to go 120 it might not be big enough.

The circuit breaker and the GFI or the circuit breaker GFI are best sized for the need and 120 volts will take more amps. The 240 volt system has more "pressure" to push compared to the 120 volt so it requires fewer amps.
You would need to ensure you have a correctly sized circuit breaker and or GFI. If you are going 120 to 240 you need a new breaker.

Most pumps will offer a 120 or 240 connection on the motor. The voltage the motor runs on is determined by how you hook the wires up to it. I think ... guess some of the newer VS (variable speed) pumps might only be 240 from what I've read. Don't have one and haven't worked on one so I'm not sure. The other thing is the horse power of the motor. Small ones are often only 120 and the higher ones only 240.

This is more trouble than it's worth :) . . . what voltage are you running now and do you want to change ?? Much easier to answer that then try to explain all the differences.

I'm replacing the pump that's there now with the exact same model - so, it should be fine.

However, how can I tell which way it is hooked up now ( 120 vs 240 ) ?

I would really like to know so I can go ahead and order the timer so they can be installed at the same time.

You can measure the voltage with a multi-meter. You can find which circuit breaker controls the pump and see what kind of breaker it is. You can look at your current pump and see what voltage it is setup to use. And so on.

If you look at the circuit breaker in main fuse panel it will be a single pole for 120 and double for 240.

The motor should have a decal on it that shows how to wire it 120 or 240. Make sure to check the wires are on the correct terminals or that you hook the wires to the correct terminals when you put it in. Some motors you need to move it's internal wires to different terminals and others it's the wires running to the motor that have two choices (120-240) for hookup.
When in doubt, post pictures and ask !! It shouldn't be that hard and a new motor should come with instructions.

Is the old one still wired in so you can just copy the hook up when the new one arrives ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you look at the circuit breaker in main fuse panel it will be a single pole for 120 and double for 240.

The motor should have a decal on it that shows how to wire it 120 or 240. Make sure to check the wires are on the correct terminals or that you hook the wires to the correct terminals when you put it in. Some motors you need to move it's internal wires to different terminals and others it's the wires running to the motor that have two choices (120-240) for hookup.
When in doubt, post pictures and ask !! It shouldn't be that hard and a new motor should come with instructions.

Is the old one still wired in so you can just copy the hook up when the new one arrives ??

Yes, the old motor is still in place... also, i have an uncle who's an electrical engineer who is going to install the new motor and timer for me.

The breaker is in a box mounted outside by the pool equipment, and it is a double - so it should be 240 then.

Which means i should order the Intermatic T104R.

Thanks Frog and Jason for the help - electrical items/situations are not my thing at all, so your guidance, knowledge and quick responses have been a great help. Thanks again, dbishop0011.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.