Tree limbs hanging over pool

Jul 15, 2008
austin, tx
Hello, I'm going on my second year of pool ownership. I made a lot of mistakes my first year, but this year I'm ready to go pro! I have two large trees with limbs hanging over my pool. The good part about this is the shade (Texas summers can be brutal), the bad part a long list. Mainly consisting of leaves constantly falling into pool, bird poop in pool, pollen, limbs, etc..

So my question is, does anyone else have tree limbs hanging over their pool? Most of the pool pictures I look at in this forum show beautiful backyards with a pool and no trees. Should I just cut these suckers back and be done with it all? How should I cover the pool if I do decide to trim these trees?

Is this a no brainer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I have numerous trees in my backyard and I just trim them back in the fall of the year as if you trim them now, you are likely to kill them. The best time to prune your trees is in the fall of the year.

I also use a solar blanket and that helps big time with the pollen ect.

You will still get leaves blowing in, but the trade off of having a nicely pruned and beautiful yard of trees is nice to have.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

Above is a few pics of my backyard. Hope this helps you.

I have large live oak trees over my pool here in Austin. It is a definite trade off. The shade is nice and I like the looks but it is definitely more work. Because of the debris load, I have a larger filter and pump than normal for my size pool and I run it, and the pool sweep, longer than I might otherwise. At some times of the year, the skimmers have to be emptied morning and night.

It is manageable but you'll have to judge the trade off for you.

Good luck

I have a question for you guys with trees. I have lots of trees around my pool. They drop leaves and pine needles daily and I have to stay on top of it. My question is pollen. Do you get it and what does it look like in your pool? I have what I think is lots of pollen after rain and it covers the bottom like a blanket. You can sweep it from one side the the other and it mixes with the water and then settles like a haze again on the bottom. It's not slimey.

I like my trees but they sure make pool maintenance a chore!

Take a look at my link in my signature and you will see some of the trees and foliage that we have in our back yard. I love our trees and the neighbors has a tone of them. I use a solar cover as without it, the pollen and debris from the trees would be brutal. The cottonwood trees are horrable right now, but thats OK as most of it hits the solar cover and blows off of it.

We too have a bit of pollen on the bottom. Light material looking. I just vaccum it up and it goes away. I then use a skimmer sock, and wow, that is the ticket you want to use with large amounts of foliage around your pool.

Hope that helps! :wave:

reindeerboy said:
Take a look at my link in my signature and you will see some of the trees and foliage that we have in our back yard. I love our trees and the neighbors has a tone of them. I use a solar cover as without it, the pollen and debris from the trees would be brutal. The cottonwood trees are horrable right now, but thats OK as most of it hits the solar cover and blows off of it.

We too have a bit of pollen on the bottom. Light material looking. I just vaccum it up and it goes away. I then use a skimmer sock, and wow, that is the ticket you want to use with large amounts of foliage around your pool.

Hope that helps! :wave:

Your yard and pool are beautiful! I see what you mean. Mine has lots of pine trees and other bushes and things. I definitely need a skimmer sock! I think that will be a huge help. Thank you!

Thank you! Took a little time but I love our backyard, plus the wife sits back there and reads! Very peaceful and a huge stress releiver!

You are welcome! Let me know how it works for ya. Always curious when people put these socks on to see how much garbage really goes through your filter. I was truely suprised on ours and you can order those things online at dirt cheap prices.

I used intheswim.com and they were cheap! I think they even have a sale going on right now! :goodjob:

Thanks for all the feedback! I too have been using a skimmer sock over the past few months and am amazed (and slightly disgusted) at everything that it picks up. Last year I used a solar cover, and just forgot about it..bad idea! This year I might look into one of the mesh covers, and I'll probably cut those trees back. thanks.

chuckill said:
Thanks for all the feedback! I too have been using a skimmer sock over the past few months and am amazed (and slightly disgusted) at everything that it picks up. Last year I used a solar cover, and just forgot about it..bad idea! This year I might look into one of the mesh covers, and I'll probably cut those trees back. thanks.
I use a leaf net and it works great. I use mine throughout the pool season but I know the intent is to put over the winter cover. Easy to get on and off by yourself but need help shaking the leafs off. Definitely worth the money! Keeps the big stuff out while the skimmer and filter catch the rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.