RayPak 2100 heater does not ignite.

Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I have the RayPak 2100 Digital NGas (P-R405A-EN) and it came with the house 11 years ago.....and was probably 5 years old when we got it. So 16 years I guess, but now it has lost its spark, I think . No ignition and it says SPK 22. So now I'm wondering if the life of the heater is at its end, or can I squeeze out some more years.

I'm going to revise the age to about 12 years old. I think it was new when we moved in. We only use the heater on occasion about 6-8 times a year, and not heat the pool but just the spa. SPK means spark and it's not a error but a status code of sorts. Can anyone tell me the process of how the heater fires up, sound wise? Clicks, sparks? All I hear is one click and its pretty loud, and it is coming from the gas valve. So can you guys/gals hear any other clicks or hear a spark? This is the electric digital 2100.

Yes you can usually hear the spark a few times as the pilot lights, then a click of the valve to ignite all burners. Go ahead and remove the front door and you can confirm all that's going on.

Another update: I am now getting a code error of PRS which I believe is the water pressure (waterflow) ...........the display goes back and forth with SPK (no error or service warning) to PRS (service flashes). I just did not leave it on or did not notice ther error code before. The error code comes on after about 30 seconds and then it toggles every 10 or 15 seconds. I'm going to remove all the covers and do a cleaning up of debris and check the pressure switch.

I had this same problem on my RP2100. The only difference is sometimes it would actually fire up but would shut back down then keeping repeating itself but sometimes it just would not fire up at all. I was removing the inlet and outlet pipes to replace the diverter valve to the spa and pool. I noticed some white pieces of plastic inside the heater manifold. Come to find out they were broken rib pieces from my filter grids. A few pieces where jammed in the bypass valve in the manifold allowing water to bypass the heater causing low pressure in the heater manifold. Since they where removed I have had no problems with heater operation. So pull the inlet and out pipes so you can check that valve. If you can't pull the pipes easily, I believe the bypass valve can be carefully removed from the right side of the manifold and look inside the manifold for something possibly blocking it.

skeeter

I have one also. I put in a new board last year and it worked great then and also earlier this month when I opened up the pool.

The past two weeks we have had rains every day. Now when I want to turn on the pool heater I get the CFH and SPK on the screen but I hear NO clicking to fire up. It's like its frozen.
It could be that it is still too wet, but maybe the ignitor is gone kaput. Raypak 2100

What would be the part(s) to get to fix if I need to do so?

I have one also. I put in a new board last year and it worked great then and also earlier this month when I opened up the pool.

The past two weeks we have had rains every day. Now when I want to turn on the pool heater I get the CFH and SPK on the screen but I hear NO clicking to fire up. It's like its frozen.
It could be that it is still too wet, but maybe the ignitor is gone kaput. Raypak 2100

What would be the part(s) to get to fix if I need to do so?

Yours could either be the board or the ignitor. Take the front off, if you haven't already, and make sure it's not sparking. Maybe it's quieter than before. Also you should hear a small click of the gas valve when it's sparking. If you don't hear any of that, might be the board.

Thanks for getting back Paul.

I do get the major click to open the gas valve(CFH-Call for Heat shows) , but not the "zapping" noise of the spark to ignite the gas(SPK-Spark shows). I also detect a slight tinge of gas at this time.

Ignitor? If so, the schematic is poor and it is very hard to get to see which of 2 pilot assemblies I would need and how to install.

Thoughts on going forward?

Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK here is the update. After checking out connections etc, I decided to do the UNTHINKABLE and get the lighter out to see if I could get the pilot/gas going. As I could smell a faint odor of gas, told me that the pilot was putting out gas. So after letting the unit rest and let the gas blow out if there was any, I put a flame next to the igniter and hit the switch, and in a moment, the unit fired up and the spa went to temperature. Good news, now to figure out why. After cool down I got my finger in there to feel what was going on...and all this rust came falling down and out. The metal bracket that holds something (including the igniter) was pretty well falling apart. It turned out that once I cleared all the rust out with my compressor and cleared the igniter, the unit fired up on its own. Bottom line, rusted metal was in the way of the igniter, and it would not click to ignite the pilot. Once the metal was cleared, I heard the clicking noise that lights up the pilot. WhoooooHoooo. Funny thing, I asked my buddy that installs home heating and ac about it, and he said "spider in the igniter" several times, and I thought he was joking. But apparently it is fairly common that something like a spider web can cause the igniter to temperarily fail.

Yep spider build little webs in the orifices of the burners as well. Depending on how much rust you have inside, if that bracket or the try rusts out you have another issue to contend with. Good luck and happy you were able to get this going for the long 4th of July weekend.

I'm working on a raypak Rp2100 digtal unit with a pilot.it's sparks pilot comes on you here the gas valve open but has no gas coming out of the test tap. i have already replaced the gas valve still the same thing, but when the flame shows on the front panel you only see one of the flames flashing.

I have a similar problem. Unit goes into CRH, I hear the ignition, hear the flame for 30 seconds or so then a super quick PRS SPK and the process starts all over. i did however pull the leads to the pressure switch and tie them together for troubleshooting purposes and this had no effect. So at this point I really don't know what to do.

Anyone?

Thanks

I'm working on a raypak Rp2100 digtal unit with a pilot.it's sparks pilot comes on you here the gas valve open but has no gas coming out of the test tap. i have already replaced the gas valve still the same thing, but when the flame shows on the front panel you only see one of the flames flashing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.