Overrun with fleas! How to get rid of?

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
I've known that my yard has a flea problem, and I treated / sprayed the yard with permethrin with one of those spray bottle thingies where you attach a water hose to it. I did that last week.

It helped, except now the fleas are having a party in the pool. I guess they're trying to avoid the treated areas, so the pool was their only option. Now, how do I get rid of fleas in the pool? There are thousands, even MILLIONS of them in there! I'm not kidding.

I'm assuming it's a bad idea to spray permethrin in the pool?

My first thought would be to raise the FC level in the pool, but I don't know how much overlap there is between "level required to kill bugs" and "level that is safe for swimming". I have noticed that (knock on wood) insects don't seem to live long in my tub these days now that I'm treating exclusively with chlorine.

When I was in ag class I learned that fleas float because they trap air bubbles in the little hairs on their bodies. You can't drown a flea. UNLESS you break the surface tension of the water. I was taught that shampoo in water would break the surface tension and cause fleas to drown. I don't know what gets put in pools that has an effect on surface tension, but figuring that out should make them drown.

My pool surface was covered with the flying ants last evening. I just turned the pump on to run overnight so they would all be in the skimmers in the morning.

Won't the pump move the fleas to their demise in a skimmer?

I don't think chlorine kills the fleas, they've been in the pool for some time, just not in the numbers I saw this morning.

Running pump now, looks a lot better now. Hope the filter picks them up.

If I see them again in large numbers when the pump is not running, I'll post back here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.