Patio Pool Help!!

May 9, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hello All,

I am sure this has been asked, but I have searched here and the internet, read a ton of stuff, and my thoughts are all running together. I have purchased a Pro Series 14x42 AGP. The only area I have for install is on my back private patio. Obviously, for draining purposes, the pad is not level. Based on my measurements, it appears to be around 3 inches out of level. (low side). The patio measures 16x20 with smaller extension areas that wrap around under the upper deck. What is the best/safest way to level? I promise, I have read and read, used google and anything else I could think of, with no direct answer. If I keep reading and researching without finally asking, the summer will be complete before I get to assemble my pool. :(

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Larry

How did you figure out the patio is 3 inches out of level? that seems like a pretty large slope for a 16 (or 20) foot run of patio. If it is really that much it is too much for a pool for sure. You could get by with an inch or so but I don't think I would do 3 inches.

There are concrete products you could use to bring the slab more level but doubt if it would be worth it.

I would double check your level on that slab.

Pv2,,

Thank you for the response. The measurement was taken from a smaller pool I had assembled the past three years. It was a 12x36 metal frame. (Intex with White poles/frame). I measured the water line from the high side to the top of pool, and measured the low side to the top of the pool. It was between 2.5 to 3 inch difference. I never had any issues with the previous pool for all of the years it was installed. I decided to go a bit larger/deeper this year and upgrade to the ultra frame as well. (old pool frame joints were showing a lot of rust).

Doing the upgrade, I wanted to make sure it was done correctly this time. The pool is used mostly by me, but at times my wife will join. No rough housing, no kids. Just us sunbathing.

Should I measure differently? I figured measuring the high and low sides of the water level would give me the best calculations.

Again, any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,,

Larry

1/4 inch per foot would have that patio over 5 inches off level. the husband (who is a masonry contractor) says for normal water drainage a 20 foot run might be a 1.5 inch drop.

For the OP, I might risk a 3 inch slope if I was desperate for my pool AND the water had a safe exit if there was a catastrophic failure, but I sure as heck wouldn't advise anybody else to do it.

I am not sure what you could do to bring it up. maybe graduated pavers for the low side and rigid foam under that got shaved down to nothing on the upside?

Building UP to level is a lot harder (RISKIER) than bringing things DOWN to a stable level.

1/4 inch per foot would have that patio over 5 inches off level. the husband (who is a masonry contractor) says for normal water drainage a 20 foot run might be a 1.5 inch drop.

For the OP, I might risk a 3 inch slope if I was desperate for my pool AND the water had a safe exit if there was a catastrophic failure, but I sure as heck wouldn't advise anybody else to do it.

I am not sure what you could do to bring it up. maybe graduated pavers for the low side and rigid foam under that got shaved down to nothing on the upside?

Building UP to level is a lot harder (RISKIER) than bringing things DOWN to a stable level.

Pv2,

I thought about doing as you stated. I have set up the top frame in order to see where the legs/pavers would be set. Maybe use a build up of foam board for the base, trim down until flush with upside. Afterwards, use play sand to flush each "step down" of foam board, then a heavy duty tarp over everything?

Pv2,

I thought about doing as you stated. I have set up the top frame in order to see where the legs/pavers would be set. Maybe use a build up of foam board for the base, trim down until flush with upside. Afterwards, use play sand to flush each "step down" of foam board, then a heavy duty tarp over everything?

I would be concerned about sand just washing out, maybe some heavy duty fabric or carpet would work to make it more smooth. if you try the foam make sure it is rigid enough it won't just compress to nothing - I think there have been some recent discussions about this in regards to placing legs on the foam and the PSI calculations for different types...

If you use sand, you best have some kind of frame to keep it where you put it... and you'll need to wash it in/compact it really well before pool set up. A good heavy rain will compact it better than anything but if you don't get lucky and catch a rain you can compact it by hand but you will need to keep it wet or it will just poof out the sides of your tamper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who provided direction, advice, and idea's. I am still going to think on this a few days and decide which direction I should take. If anyone reads this and has any ideas or suggestions, please respond. I am open to any help....

Thank you again,

Larry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.