Help! New Owner with SWG & need to shock pool due to child accident!

Hi all,

I don't mean to hijack this thread (and this may be a dumb question) but as a new pool owner, but I'm curious what the OP's recommended course of action should be if all his numbers were at recommended levels. If your chemistry is where it should be do you have to SLAM the pool if someone got sick or "messed" in the pool? (I can't stop thinking about the scene in Caddyshack where the kids in the pool scream "DOOODIE") :laughblue:

-Mike
For me it would probably be a "short" SLAM, bring the pool to shock level for the day and I would expect to pass an OCLT that night. Then let it drift back down to normal FC levels.

On another note we just moved out of Vienna. Really nice town.

Thanks for the welcome Leebo! I have 3 children, if you include my spouse! ;)

2 of my kids are disabled & special needs so my life is a little crazier than most peoples. So trying to figure out this pool thing in the mist of it all is a little overwhelming.

The water itself is clear. No algae or anything. But upon exiting the pool my daughter had a loose bowl movement where small traces of fecal matter were left behind. :( we cleaned out any debris, but for sanitary purposes clearly we want to kill any bacteria before opening the pool back up.

I have the supplies needed to fix the PH, TA & CYA...now it's just doing it & hopefully not screwing it up! Someone had indicated since I have no CYA the pool is already at shock level, so I don't need to add bleach to the pool to disinfect. It sounds like I just need to get the levels where I need them to be.

As stated in this thread you need to raise the chlorine to 2ppm to kill any bacteria. Your readings were under that mark. Seeing you've got a small pool, I'd play it safe and add another dose, to be 100% sure. Just add 2 cups of bleach after sunset. This will allow the chlorine the time to work overnight killing anything before the sun burns it off.

After that you can work on your levels knowing all is dead in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.