First TEst with TF-100

Davidp

Apr 30, 2014
Corpus Christi, TX
Well I thought I had the pool boy thing under control, looks like I need some help...

Salt - 3900
FC - 3.5
CC - 0
TC - 3.5
CH - 1250
TA - 100
CYA - 50
PH - 7.5

Also noticing some small algae spots in a few places, not many but scattered.

All help appreciated...thank you!

The only thing really appearing to be off.is the high CH, which is only lowered by replacing water.

Your CYA could be higher for the SWG, but with algae showing up, you need to SLAM before raising it.

Really the CH that high is going to be a problem leading to calcium scaling.

Welcome! :wave:

Are you sure about that CH result? I'd expect you'd have patches of scale causing road rash when you brush against the walls. Did you run the test with 10 ml of water or 25 ml of water? It's easy to get confused with some tests being done at 10 and others at 25. I've made that mistake myself more times than I'd care to count.

Did you mix until your arm turned to overcooked spaghetti? That Ch test really needs a lot of mixing. A lot. I use a speedstir, and even with that, it takes me at least 5 minutes to run the CH test to the end with CH around 800.

Did you use Cal-hypo to chlorinate? That's a powdered chlorine sold in buckets. It could be the source.

At any rate... if that reading is correct, I see a partial drain in your future. So be sure of that reading.

Algae is also a concern. If you only have a little bit, a good brushing and performing a SLAM should take care of things in a day or two.

I will re-test again to make sure of the CH reading. Was my first time using it, so it is definitely possible I added the wrong amount of water, and my mixing could have been weak. I have only used a few pucks on occasion if chlorine is low. Will repost reading. I have constantly been brushing the algae when found, but the dots seem to creep back slowly. Thank you.

Second test using 10ml of water for sure, and a good mixing. I counted 44 drops to turn water blue. So now I have a reading of 1100. Of course kinda hard keeping count when the drop count is that high, and kids asking questions constantly...:D

Second test using 10ml of water for sure, and a good mixing. I counted 44 drops to turn water blue. So now I have a reading of 1100. Of course kinda hard keeping count when the drop count is that high, and kids asking questions constantly...:D
That means it's probably lower. You were only gone 15 minutes. You didn't swirl long enough. When I switched from manual swirling to the speedstir, my Ch reading dropped about 200!

Nonetheless, a partial drain is in your future. Try testing your tap water. That will help you figure out how much to replace. Draining half won't get you to 550 unless the tap water is zero. You probably ought to plan on doing it in stages, so the pool is never closed and the kids can't get in. I use pool water on the lawn. It's your call whether you want to replace some water first to lower CYA to make the SLAM level lower, or SLAM at 50 and then slowly lower CH over several months.

Ok I'm ready to start the SLAM, readings are:

FC - 1
PH - 7.6
CYA -40-50 (I'm not sure I quite have the hang of this test yet)
Salt - 3900

I don't think I have enough bleach on hand though.. And let me ask a dumb question, while SLAMing do you run the SWG along with the pump?

Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.