Cloudy poo, lTaylor K-2006 results,am I on the right track?

Apr 27, 2011
So I have an Intex 16x48 ultra frame, 6000 gallons (please ignore the information in my signature, I have no idea where it came from, Removed. JasonLion) Had it up for about a month now chlorinating with the dissolving tablets. My initial test with the K-2006 showed all levels in the proper range. FC was 6, TC about .5, no measurable CYA, PH 7.4. I have been maintaining very close to those levels weekly until last week when we got a significant amount of rain. The water turned very cloudy with a hint of green/brown. Since then I shocked with shock and swim from Wal-Mart and that water is definitely better but far from crystal clear like it was. Retested this morning and noticed a significant decrease in PH. This mornings numbers were FC = 7 ppm, TC = .6 ppm, no measureable CYA, PH = 7.0, and TA = 40.

Here is where I need help. The steps below are what I believe I should do in order of importance. Please straighten me out where needed.

1. Get PH up to 7.5. The plan here is to add washing soda to bring the PH up to level.
2. Increase TA to ~100 using baking soda
3. Maintain chlorine level where it is
4. Run pump continuously to make sure any floating debris is removed
5. Vacuum with the Intex stick vac that came with the pool to remove any debris from the floor

Anything seem out of place there? Anything else that I need to be concerned about when trying to increase both PH and TA at the same time? And most importantly would this lead to slightly cloudy water?

Thanks for all of the great information on this forum!

Todd

Last edited:
What are you using as a source of chlorine? You target levels are different if you are using trichlor tablets (which we don't recommend) or bleach for chlorine.

Raise the TA first, only after that has had time to mixing, retest the PH and adjust if needed.

You need to get CYA up to a measurable level, at least 30. Otherwise you will lose way too much chlorine to sunlight.

What are you using as a source of chlorine? You target levels are different if you are using trichlor tablets (which we don't recommend) or bleach for chlorine.

Raise the TA first, only after that has had time to mixing, retest the PH and adjust if needed.

You need to get CYA up to a measurable level, at least 30. Otherwise you will lose way too much chlorine to sunlight.

Right now I am still using trichlor tabs but I am switching over to liquid bleach. What is the recommended method increasing the CYA?

Thanks
Todd

CYA is normally raised with stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid, several names for the same stuff. Make sure you are getting 95+% cyanuric acid.

With trichlor you want TA around 100 to 120, but with bleach you want TA around 70 to 90. A level around 100 is probably a good compromise for the moment.

Right now I am still using trichlor tabs but I am switching over to liquid bleach. What is the recommended method increasing the CYA?

Thanks
Todd

CYA is Cyanuric Acid, it is normally added in dry form via the sock method. You can buy "Stabilizer & Conditioner" from Walmart. It's 96% CYA. To add it you will need to add the recommended amount to a sock and tie the end of it up. Soak that in your pool till it all dissolves, you can squeeze it with your hand periodically to speed this up. If you have a skimmer basket, put the sock in your skimmer basket. If not then just tie the sock up near your intake or return and run the pump continuously till it is all dissolved.

For a 6,000 gallon pool assuming you are at 0 and want to get to 30....you will need to use about 24 oz. (1.5 lbs.) of the stabilizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.