Mustard Algae

boston62

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Pool Size
I am a new in ground pool owner, I am having this one little problem algae around one main drain, looks like a light brown stain then a few brown spots about maybe 6 in all, nothing in the spa which has a spill over into the pool...

1: I have shocked it with liquid chlorine, got the FC up to 30 ppm, but it didn't touch the algae...

Right now the pool is at:

FC = 25 ppm
PH = 8.2
TA = 75
CYA = 100
CH = 375

right now I have turned off my SWG to allow the FC to drop....

Thanks for the help..

Pool = 13,000
SWG
Filter = Cartridge 150
Pump = single speed

Welcome to TFP :wave:

You have likely not had your FC high enough for long enough with the CYA level at 100. Shocking is a process done over time, not a one time event. It's difficult to kill algae with your stabilizer that high especially Mustard Algae if that is indeed what you have.

I suggest a drain and refill of at least 40% in attempt to get the CYA down to 60 for a start. You may be higher than 100 CYA. But I would start there.

Dig into Pool School. ABC's, Defeating Algae, and how to SLAM your pool. You will need a high range FC test to do this, such as the one that comes in the TF100.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The problem with 100 CYA test result is that tests report 100 CYA or anything above 100 also as 100 :shock: Some folks have found their CYA waaaaaayyyy higher than tested. Doing a CYA dilution test would give a better idea of true CYA level.

I suggest a drain and refill of at least 40% in attempt to get the CYA down to 60 for a start. You may be higher than 100 CYA. But I would start there.
^^ Me, too.

I have the Taylor 2006 test kit, I added a stabilizer when my CYA was low around 50, then it shot up over 100....it is now dropping, I was told it takes a week or so for the CYA to come down after using stabilizer. Thanks to everyone applying...

These are my test numbers

FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 75
CH 350
CYA 70

I think I am getting black algae, I only have 4 small round spots. Do I need to SLAM?

I put a puck on it to see if it removes it.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.