Will bleach settle over time in a container with some pool water added?

easttn

Jun 22, 2013
East TN
If I mix 2 jugs of 8.25% bleach and 1 jug of pool water in a container and let it sit will the bleach settle to the bottom over the course of a week with no circulation? I believe this mixture is 5.5% bleach. The bleach and water will be mixed prior to sitting. I think I saw a description like this in the chlorinator manual. The chlorinator gets aggitated I guess but Im talking about still water. This is a project Im working on.

Well, bleach is heavier than water. That is why it is recommended to pour in front of a return, pencil thick so it gets distributed and does not sink to the bottom of the pool. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon to give their $.02.

If the bleach is mixed with the water, then it will not settle. Though bleach is denser than water, that is only relevant when pouring into still water. Once mixed, it stays mixed, especially in a volume of water as small as a bucket. Diffusion alone will overcome any gravitational differential in that small a volume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.