Salt Water (no generator) and Steel rails

G

I have steps with steel rails. I've been reading here about the benefits of adding salt to pool water. Can one do that even with steel rails or other parts? Any cautions? Thanks.

Sue

Sue, what are the anchors that hold the rails made out of? If they are aluminum, you will probably have a LOT of trouble removing the rails after a while - the salt in the water oxidizes the aluminum and pretty much 'glues' the rails in. However, if you can keep the salt water out of the anchor cups, the problem is removed! A good way to do this is with silicone caulk - the cups must be dry before applying it (with the handrails in place and the wedges tightened down). When you want to remove the rails, simply cut the caulk with a razor knife and loosen the anchors and they should slide right out :) If the anchor cups are plastic, you shouldn't have any problem with the salt!

I haven't explained all that's going on (it gets a little technical - galvanic this and anode that) but have given you a way to avoid having the rails be a real PITA when you want to remove them. If you'd like some more detail, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability :-D

Thanks!

I had a steel ladder before; just picked the steps up on Craigslist. Never used, but the former owner couldn't use them or return them. I have to make some modifications here, but they're real nice. Got the shower pan liner from HD and we're in business. I'm sure we'll enjoy it.

Sue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.