Maybe a way to avoid the white stuff with the Liquidator?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had a chance today to verify something I suspected about the white stuff. I've had problems with it twice since I installed. The first time, I was adding 10% to the tank that already had a few gallons of 6% in it, and this time I let the chlorine run out, so I was adding 6% to a tank of water.

Both times, I could clearly see the flow of the incoming chlorine disturbing the sediment on the bottom of the tank, even though I was pouring it more slowly than I normally do. The first time I was pouring more slowly because we had been discussing WS that day, and this time I poured very slowly in hopes of verifying my previous observation.

My theory/guess is that when adding the heavier liquid, it flows across the bottom of the tank and disturbs the sediment. If there are already a couple of gallons of liquid with the same density in there, what is being added is the same density as what's already there, so the flow is less concentrated on the bottom of the tank.

Like I said, I have zero WS other than these two times when I was adding a liquid that was more dense than the contents of the LQ tank.

Those of you that have WS problems: Do you often let the tank run out of bleach (or close)before adding? Those of you that don't have WS problems (Dave?) might want to try letting it run out to see if you have a similar experience when adding bleach to an LQ full of water.

JohnT said:
My theory/guess is that when adding the heavier liquid, it flows across the bottom of the tank and disturbs the sediment. If there are already a couple of gallons of liquid with the same density in there, what is being added is the same density as what's already there, so the flow is less concentrated on the bottom of the tank.

I can't see how deposits at the bottom, with or without disturbance, can affect the deposition of supersaturated solution of calcium salt in the top layer mainly in the out-flow line starting from the outlet float valve and going outward. Those sediments at the bottom stay there because they are heavy and they won't migrate all the way to the top level because the latter is even less dense than the bleach level.

If these deposits are present, then the bleach solution is saturated with the dissolved salt so you can’t increase the concentration of the dissolved salt by agitating the deposits. It had already reached its maximum concentration.
But if your observation is consistent and you can confirm it, maybe there's some "circumstantial connection". Who knows.

Water_man said:
I can't see how deposits at the bottom, with or without disturbance, can affect the deposition of supersaturated solution of calcium salt in the top layer mainly in the out-flow line starting from the outlet float valve and going outward. Those sediments at the bottom stay there because they are heavy and they won't migrate all the way to the top level because the latter is even less dense than the bleach level.

They clearly dispersed into the incoming bleach, then made a layer on top of the bleach layer as it formed. Made it look like there was a false bottom in the tank at the top of the bleach layer. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes later, there were white blobs, dispersed like little ghosts within the water and on top of the water. No doubt these were disturbed from the bottom and the dispersed throughout the tank, although I can't say that it was mechanical agitation or a chemical reaction that made them move into the water layer.

I've mentioned it a couple of times a long time ago that the instructions emphasize to add the CL slowly. One of the first time I filled up my LQ I did not follow that advice and got the WS. I noticed that once the particules are suspended they do not float back down. I cleaned the LQ about a couple months later and no WS until now.

I cleaned my LQ about 9 months later and the WS was crystalized and stuck to the sides of the LQ. They were in sheets that looked like thin peanut brittle. I guess that the WS attracts to itself. Once I cleaned the LQ I got WS again. I do not know why I got it again but I think Ipoured it quickly again eventhough there was no crud on the bottom to agitate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.