SLAMing questions

May 31, 2014
Burlington, NC
I started SLAMing Wednesday evening. Just curious if these numbers look normal and am I doing this right? It continues to clear more and more and I think the DE has been a big help. Any idea how many more days it may be?

My FC #s after SLAMing to a 20FC shock level each time have been:

WEDNESDAY
6:15 = 17.0 ppm
10:00 = 15.5 ppm

THURSDAY
8 am = 13.0 ppm
Noon = 17.5 ppm
4:00 pm = 14.5 ppm , add 1 cup DE
9:00 pm = 18.0 ppm, add 1 cup DE

FRIDAY
8 am = 18.0 ppm, add 1 cup DE
12 noon = 16.0 ppm, add 1 cup DE
4:00 pm = 14.5 ppm, add 1 cup DE
9:30 pm = 12.5 ppm, add 1 cup DE

Thanks for any insight on this process!

We can tell you if you are right on if you add your CYA levels. :goodjob: You are more than likely right on if you have seen marked improvement. No one knows how long it can take from start to finish. Some clear in a week and others can drag on for weeks on end. What I would suggest is to not let up on the SLAM and continue to beat it into submission by bringing up the SLAM levels as you have been doing.

Are you backwashing each time? Otherwise, stop adding all that DE! You'll clog your filter. It just forms a thin layer on top of the sand that is finer than the sand. Picture putting a window screen over a barbecue grate. Same thing, just on a microscopic scale. If you're not backwashing it out, it's like layering screen after screen on top.

Just watch the pressure and backwash when it rises 25% over the clean pressure after the last backwash, then add another cup of DE.

The number progression looks good.

Okay, Casey, my CYA level was at 50 when I started so I don't guess that has changed. Did not check it today. Richard320, I have definitely backwashed before each SLAM and before each cup of DE. My "clean" filter pressure is at 10% and I backwash at around 13-15%. Is there a point I should stop adding DE before it is clear?

Okay, Casey, my CYA level was at 50 when I started so I don't guess that has changed. Did not check it today. Richard320, I have definitely backwashed before each SLAM and before each cup of DE. My "clean" filter pressure is at 10% and I backwash at around 13-15%. Is there a point I should stop adding DE before it is clear?
Nope. Run it all the time if you want! You probably have a big enough bag to keep you going for years!

As long as you're backwashing, ignore my last post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.