1st test with TF-100 Results .... Now What?

Apr 27, 2013
Houston, TX
So I made it through last year with a wonderful pool experience, but this year has been more of a battle. It is a salt water pool (salt cell) that is ~20,000 gallons. So that being said, i bought a TF-100 test kit to try to "take control" of my pool and not be managed by the pool stores.

Here is the test results:

PH = 7.8
FC = 1.0
CC = 1.0
TC = 2.0
CH = 225
TA = 50
CYA = 0 (never got cloudy enough to not see dot.... in fact wasn't cloudy at all)
Salt = 1780 via test strips (although the salt cell says it is 2900)

I having an terrible time keeping the Cl to a reasonable number (I guess because CYA is zero), so a bit of black-ish algae is forming (at the water line on the rocks/travertine), however the pool is crystal clear. So I promised my wife I would take care of it... I read on pool school that I need to SLAM it... is that the first thing I need to do or should I start somewhere else. The days are getting hotter/sunnier so I figured I needed to do it before it got to 100+ here in south Texas.

Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: 1st test with T-100 Results .... Now What?

You did right by getting the TF-100, congratulations and thank you!

You CYA needs to be addressed ASAP, as well as your FC. You will not hold FC without some protection. PoolMath (link in the bar above) comes up with 80oz by weight or 83oz by volume of dry CYA to reach a starting level of 30. Put the granules in an old sock or steal (borrow) one of your wife's knee-highs for this. Either put it in an active skimmer, or hang it by a running return.

As soon as it is dissolved, assume you are at your target level. It likely won't show up on a test for a week, so don't test for CYA for that time.

Adjust your pH to 7.2 before you start your slam.

Turn off your SWG for the duration, and keep your pump running 24/7.

For your FC, keep putting 1/2 jug of 8.25% (128oz) of bleach each evening when the sun is off the pool. Test after about 1 hour, and add enough to reach 4 FC until the CYA is dissolved, then up that to 12 FC for your SLAM level. If you can, test every hour and maintain no less than 12 FC. You can overshoot a little if that is what it takes to keep it above 12.

Scrub your pool as often as you can, several times a day, especially those areas that have black algae.

Pics would be a good idea of those black areas.

CYA is sold under several names, most commonly stabilizer, sometimes conditioner. It is best to look at the label and make sure the ingredients are 95+% cyanuric acid. It is only available at pool stores and other stores with pool chemical departments (like many of the big box hardware stores).

Scrub your pool as often as you can, several times a day, especially those areas that have black algae.

Pics would be a good idea of those black areas.

They are the blackish/greenish circle spiral things in the pics (some of the smaller black things are pebbles from the pebbletec)

xjY8xAq.jpg

Just put in the CYA (99% stuff I found at Lowe's) and some 10% "chlorinating liquid". Once the CYA dissolves (and I add more since I only did 64oz of CYA to start), I will adjust PH and start SLAM. Any other advice would be appreciated....

Thanks again!

You are on your way!

Remember to maintain your FC level enough above 12 once the CYA dissolves, and don't let it fall below that until you have scrubbed off all traces of the black algae.

Let us know how things are going.

So got up this morning and the socks were almost empty. So added another bit to them to get up to ~80 oz. Tested the water this am.... results below (didn't run them all since I don't think i need to when I start the SLAM).

PH = 7.2
FC = 5.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 5.5

So should I wait a bit to start SLAM or go ahead? I am still adding the rest of the CYA, so I think I need to wait til that is gone, right?

Once I start SLAMing... I guess I need to take it to 12/14 and keep it there (I put enough CYA to get to 30 from zero). Since it is the weekend I plan to test it every couple hours (except while sleeping) to get rid of this stuff.

Note: Wife woke up this am and said " that is the clear it has been in a while. What did you add to the pool?" Even though i thought it was clear before.

Thanks again for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM has begun. I assume the only test during this period is is the FC/CC test...right?

FC = 10 (gonna try to hold it around 13 or so - since I added CYA to get around 30 - so I added some 10% liquid)
CC = 0.5
TC = 10.5

So I may test every hour (or so) during the heat of the day to be sure it doesn't get too low. Oh.. And I went and got a new brush (they said the metal on would be too coarse and would scratch the pebble - even though it was more expense). Using this one for the time being. Advice appreciated if this was a wise buy.

Here's to hoping I can get this whipped.

Brush recommendations:

Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anyting other than a nylon brush.

Thanks for the brush recommendation. My plaster (pebbletec) is barely a year old.... so a bit concerned about using a full stainless. Perhaps I should have at least went with a combo (although this one is very stiff).

Test results (not sure I will post them every time I do them, but will post some for record:

12:00PM Test
FC = 12
CC = 0.5
TC = 12.5

Added 1/2 bottle of 10%. Brushed (greenish corners mostly gone now) and pool cleaner going. Will repeat for the next few hours.

1:00PM Test
FC =12.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 13.0

Added 1/2 bottle of 10%. Will test again (around 2:00PM) before doing anything else.

2:00PM Test
FC = 12.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 12.5

Added 1/2 bottle of 10%. Scrubbed pool again with brush.

3:15PM Test
FC = 12.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 12.5

Added 2/3 bottle of 10%.

4:15PM Test
FC = 12.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 13.0

Added 1/3 bottle of 10%.

5:30PM Test
FC =13.0
CC = 0.5
TC=13.5

Added 1/2 bottle of 10%. If it goes up again in my hourish test, I will likely not add more again after the next test (as I have been) due to sun going down (behind house). We shall see.

6:45PM Test
FC = 15.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 15.5

Yep. Pool is definitely not using the "juice" like it was....No more Liquid Chorine added. Family got in to help scrub the last traces of the black/greenish stuff off. Stayed in the pool for ~1hr and got it taken care of. Expecting to see a decrease in chorine due to swimmer load.

8:00PM Test
FC = 14.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 15.0

Not as much drop as I was expecting. Good.... will test again in a bit to set up "night portion" of the SLAM. 2 of the 3 items to stop SLAM are complete (Clear water and CC = 0.5). Will see if we can cross 3rd hurdle tonight or will it be another day of SLAM.

9:40PM Test
FC = 13.5
CC = 0.0
TC = 13.5

Testing complete for the night...... Will see if it passes OCLT in the AM.

Last edited:
So test results this AM.

7:45AM Test
FC = 13.5
CC = 0
TC = 13.5

So I think this means I passed the OCLT and CC test? So as long as the water is clear, I can stop slamming now - right? Both the wife and I feel the water is clear, so I think we can call it done. Just want to be sure before I do what is next. I guess I would like some advice on that as well.... whats next?

I know I now need to get in a regiment of daily testing (didn't do that before - more like 1 or twice a week) and adjusting PH/FC as needed. And then more detailed testing on the weekend. I have read Pool School on this topic and SWGs and I think I get it. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again all for your help and support.

Sorry about that. Yes, bring your CYA up to 60ish. Best to do it in several stages, by adding 1/2-2/3 of PoolMath's recommendations, so you don't overshoot. Remember, CYA won't show up on the test for about a week after it's all dissolved, so it may take several weeks to do this. Your pool will be fine with this. You will have to be adjusting your SWG each time, so be prepared for that.

Turn the SWG on when your FC comes down close to normal levels.

Thanks. I did a full set of tests about noon... here are the results:

PH = 7.5
FC = 11.5
CC = 0
TC = 11.5
CH = 175
TA = 70
CYA = 40 (didn't think it would register this soon......gonna wait a week or so to raise it anymore since I don't want to overshoot).

Will re-enable the SWG this evening (it will likely be low enough then). Any other advice?

Thanks, again, for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.