Ok, so in the short time (6 weeks) that I have owned a pool, i have learned a lot and have already stopped using my chlorinator per the advice on this board. I am learning as I go, but have a few questions if you wouldn't mind.
Here are my readings this morning:
PH: 7.9 (added acid this morning to get it down)
FC: 2 (added liquid chlorine to get up to the 3 range)
Water Temp: 85 (unheated)
1) My PH levels hover on the high side. I can get them down with a healthy dose of MA, but they tend to rise back up within 24 hours. The guy at the pool store told me to use alkaline booster to stabilize PH? Huh? Help on this one?
2) The pool guy who filled my pool and opened it 6 weeks ago said that i should shock it every week. That said, i have done my homework and see that i should only shock if CC's appear. According to my test kit, there is never any CC. I have learned that Ozonator will destroy CC so i am not surprised, but still worried that i might be missing something? Again, any help or advice, or just a verification that I am thinking correctly would be appreciated. Is it possible that I will never have a CC issue?
3) as i mentioned in a previous posts, the kids eyes are burning, even when the PH is down, but since i show no CC, I assume it has to be related to the PH. Can I add salt to an ozone pool?
4) finally, why does the pool guy and pool store guy all tell me to use my chlorinator in addition to liquid chlorine? Are they behind the times?
A couple of external factors to consider
-I live in Southern California and the pool is in full sun all day with temps in the 90's and 100's daily.
- It is a new house as well and the backyard is all dirt with the exception of the pool. I have to vacuum the pool almost daily as it is very dusty in my area and a film of dirt develops quite easily on the bottom of the pool. I am guessing this has some affect on my PH. Maybe not?
Thanks, you guys are great