Started First ABG pool project!

Jun 6, 2014
Central Texas
I guess registering and posting makes it official! We are prepping to install our first above ground pool. This originally started off with the idea of a "little Wal-Mart ABG" and after research has turned into a full fledged project. With a family of 9 and at least 7 of the 9 will probably use daily we quickly realized bigger will be better over the long run. Right? Factor in friends and family and lot's of bather potential. Anyway, we are looking at a 33' round Sharkline Matrix. Still working out details of pump and filter but looking at Hayward sand filter. Will continue working out equipment details over next couple of days.

The kids have been gung ho since we first let them know the plan and they started clearing the proposed pool site of a gravel bed that had been there prior to us owning home. They worked hard and removed it all.... and then... we realized that spot won't work as the power supply to the house runs under the ground there. They took the news well. So we found a new spot with no above or below ground power lines but one sagging, ugly old chain link fence that has been needing to come down in the way. So, let the kids know the fence has to be removed and they might as well take the whole fence down while they're at it. Came back about 30 minutes later and boy was I impressed with what they had done!! Talk about teamwork! They had gathered tools and begun work.... they had each taken over some task that they were in charge of and were working hard... 6 kids ages 5, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 13. They were told to take down the fence and leave the posts for daddy to take down later... they don't need daddy... look up and 9 year old daughter is digging posts out with shovel and then 5 and 7 year old sons jump in and the 3 of them pull the post out... these posts are concreted in and my little ones are beasting them out. Yes I am bursting with pride at how hard and smart the 6 of them are working. I just sat in a chair and took pics of them working. They took the fence chain down and one of them had thought to cut it into smaller sections and then roll it and throw it in the back of the truck. My 6 year old daughter was cutting chain link with bolt cutters. I guess they have been paying attention when their daddy and I work after all... who knew?!

Congratulations on your new pool build! We are a larger family and after having the 18ft intex we ordered and will start our new build in a few weeks. It's amazing what you can get them to do when you say new pool! :) We chose the Intex 16x32x54 for our build and I am as nervous as I am excited. We have the Intex 2650 1 hp sand pump and SWG currently and are staying with that on the new pool and plan to add a Hayward Skimmer to the new build. Look forward to watching your build.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know how to add pics?

You can attach them using the forum tools in the "go advanced"...but I find it a little janky.

I and many other posters, myself included, use photobucket or some other pic hosting site.

You can go to http://s155.photobucket.com/ and sign up for a free account and upload your pics to there and then post the pics via links to the pics. The nice thing about photobucket is they have iphone/android apps that allow you to upload the pics you take on your phone straight to photobucket then you can post them.

Welcome Momster! The kids sound like they are ready for the pool! :mrgreen: A 33' pool is a very nice size pool. You will never regret going as big as you can if you have the room. If I could have gotten away with a bigger pool, I would have. As far as pics go, if you're on the phone, you can download tapatalk and add pics that way or if you're using a computer, I save all my pics and upload them with postimage.org. It's really simple.

And do you maintain this by yourself or do you have a pool company managing your pool weekly?

MDP, Most of us maintain our own water here at TFP. It is very rare that a member has a Pool Service running the pool but it does happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.