Algae, Very High pH

May 29, 2014
Cin OH
I am trying to clear my algae problem but from the instructions here at TFP I have to get my pH in range (7.2-7.6) I am currently at least at 8.2

I get 8.2+ from the Taylor Kit and 8.4+ from strips

However using Sodium Bisulfate doesn't seem to be doing the trick. One of the problems being I can only run my filter about 5 minutes before I need to regenerate. I've backflushed and cleaned, but then I only see a slight improvement (9 minutes) for a free cycles.

What I am I doing wrong here?

My hardness is 100

Sodium Bisulfate is "dry acid". Since you are maxing out your pH test it may actually be much higher 8.2

Use PoolMath to determine how much dry acid to add to get to your goal. Make sure you enter all your "now" values including Size, TA, and Borate (if any) as pH changes are affected by these parameters.

Dry acid should be dissolved in a bucket prior to adding to the pool.

Retest 1/2 hour after adding, and if you didn't reach you goal go back to PoolMath again with your new "now" value. Eventually it will come back into range.

By the way, it is OK to use dry acid occasionally, but we don't recommend using regularly since sulfates will build up (plus it is expensive). The standard pH down used on TFPC is Muriatic Acid (MA), which can be purchased in any hardware or pool store. 31.45% strength (20 degree baume) is preferred. Lower strength will work, but is typically more expensive. If you use MA, make sure you set the the correct strength in PoolMath.

By recirculated do you mean run without DE

I bump with old DE and then after awhile have replaced DE

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Some filters have a multiport valve that allows you to run the water through the filter one way, backwards to backflush out the drain line, or just bypass the filter completely. With a bump-type DE filter, it's really unlikely you even have a simple backwash valve, let alone a multiport. So ignore that. You'd have seen the dial with the recirculate setting.

If the filter loads up in 5 minutes time after time, it's probably time to change the DE. The powder actually looks like microscopic sponges, and after a while, the little holes get plugged with crud.

When I change the DE it looks like greem slime.

But when I replace the DE it only lasts 7-8 minutes between bumps. How am I supposed to bring the pH down if I'm bumping and replacing DE so often?

When I change the DE it looks like greem slime.

But when I replace the DE it only lasts 7-8 minutes between bumps. How am I supposed to bring the pH down if I'm bumping and replacing DE so often?

That's kind of a "problem" with DE filters. They are so good at filtering that they can make it hard to keep up with them while clearing algae. Have you cleaned the grids in the filter? Might be that the spaces are clogged or they are caked with DE and your filter area is greatly reduced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added 14oz of MA but my DE filter needs regenerating every 10 minutes, thus getting the MA mixed is taking forever.

If I remove DE and just let the filter run to mix the water to solve the pH issue before moving on to the algae would that work?

I added 14oz of MA but my DE filter needs regenerating every 10 minutes, thus getting the MA mixed is taking forever.

If I remove DE and just let the filter run to mix the water to solve the pH issue before moving on to the algae would that work?

No. It will clog your filter.

I think your filter may already have issues and needs to be disassembled.

That is the bad thing about de filters. They are great at filtering. It will take some work but what you can do is bypass the filter. You will need some above ground pool flex hose to reach from the pump to the pool. Disconnect the union between the pump and filter. Install a male adapter to hose in the pump output side. Run that back to the pool. When the algae is dead move the hose out in the yard to vac to waste.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

The strips show my pH has come down to about 7.8 but Taylor still shows 8.2+

Might just try to just kill some of this algae first.

My CYA is about 50, but this test is funny as it relies on my sight and obviously there is some other problems doing this test while there is so much algae in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.