I'm going to start here. My idea w/ sketch. Help. :)

rxman

May 30, 2008
I finally came back around to this site after looking for information to build my own grill and bar area. I have limited experience with framing and DIY jobs having done a complete home theater installation in my basement. I've looked a bit at DrDave's site. The metal studs will be all new to me as well as stonework. I'm hoping the learning curve isn't too steep.

I want to have a 12 foot long bar that is two tiered with granite top and stone veneer. I also want a separate area with grill, but similiar in materials. Here is a sketch.

I think your plan looks pretty sweet so far. What do you have planned for shade?

I have never built a BBQ island from metal studs, however, in preparation for do so, I read the BBQ Galore forum for almost a year during my lunches at work. The common thing I heard was just start working. You don't even have to have a complete plan. The metal stud are very forgiving and you will figure things out very quickly.

Two points of caution that I also saw. You MUST, I'll say that again, MUST have adequate venting. Dr Dave can provide more detail if needed. Overhung areas need to be strong. Dr Dave is kind enough to provide information about how to do this for free on his website.

Good luck and post up some pics when you get started.

What program did you use to make your design?

That area will be covered by an actual roof attached to my existing house. The plan is to just extend the roof line out. So, it will be framed and shingled, etc... This will be done by a contactor as well as the back wall. My resposibility is anything else. The back bar, front bar and side grill area.

I understand the need for venting and will definitely make sure I have enough vents which are located properly.

I used Google Sketchup which is a free program, but it takes some time to learn.

I should have some plans from DrDave this week which will help me get started.
I need some opinions on my design and layout. I'm not sure what to do on the back wall for lower cabinets. On the right side I left room to run the grill, but I'm not sure what to do on the left side with the lower cabinets and counter top. I have an open area in that corner. The length of the entire area is 22'. This is way too much to have just a back counter. Any ideas? I have decided to raise the counter at the sink and a few feet on each side to break up the long run of counter top.
My current design has 22" depth back cabinets. I plan on putting a refrigerator and ice maker in the island bar part.

OK. I have received my plans from DrDave. I am going to construct the grill area first since it has a more simple design than the two-tier bar.

I want to find a side burner to add as well, but do not want to spend a fortune on it. My only requirements are that it comes with a cover. Any ideas on cheap models to look for?

I will have natural gas run to the grill and side burner. I have a five burner drop in grill made by Bull. Bull Outdoor Products. They also sell doors, drawers, grills, etc...but no dealer in my area.

OK. Which side for the burner and which side for the grill?

Here is a very basic sketch. You can get more from the 1st large drawing.

I know you have your heart set on a side burner but consider this:
How many times will you use both burners?
Conventional burners are not designed for WOK cooking (stir fry).
A Turbo WOK, if you can still get one, has a lot more BTU's for either Wok, Lobster Pot, Big pot of Chile or spagetti sauce (can be turned down for this).
My plans show the Turbo Wok and after 9 years with one, I would never consider a side burner which severly limits your abilities.
The downside of all this is BBQG is going downhill fast, the upside is: there is almost nothing that can go wrong with it other than the starter. Matches work in that case.

Barbeques Galore may no longer have it on their on-line catalog. There seems to be a lot of things there that are no more. However, they may still have one in the stores. I hear they may be up for sale soon. They were number one in BBQ's for many years while they were a publicly traded company.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a Crud shoot, but I am comfortable knowing my Turbo WOK works perfect and little can go wrong short of an igniter. I don't mind using matches if that happens.
The site you mentioned has some neat burners. With these, you would have to figure out how to integrate them though.

I don't know if they have them anymore or what the price is. My best estimate is about $300.00 for the stainless version. Maybe someone else has bought one recently and remembers the price. A call to them should answer provide an answer. i know my wife loves it and it is what got me started. I built my Island for her and added the BBQ for myself.

I called two separate stores to make sure I had the correct information. They have not carried the Turbo Wok in ~6 years. They do not sell a side burner with greater than 15,000 btu. I'm not sure where to go from here.

BBQG is filing Chapter 11 tomorrow.

Whoever told you that is either lieing or has not worked there long. I got mine just 12 months ago from BBQG and I have made this recommendation to several others who found them as recently as this year. They have them in stock somehwere worldwide and if your store does a search, they will likely find one.

It is my understanding that Corporate is promoting new only and trying to divert folks from the old and reliable products they no longer wish to support. I actually have a confidential memo that details their strategy.

If I can get one for ~$300 then I want one. Do you have a model number or anything other than Turbo Wok? I did try two separate stores and was given the same information. Strange.

DrDave said:
BBQG is filing Chapter 11 tomorrow.

GREAT!!!!

I guess I won't be getting my replacement cooler they have been promising me for over a month and a half!!

Sure am glad I just didn't design a WHOLE island around BBQGalore products!!! :hammer:

I know, Ch. 11 isn't the end of the world these days, but sheezzzz..... :rant:

Dr. Dave, care to pm me any info on that e-mail??? THx!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.