Hayward skimmer weir question?

Have Hayward P1084 skimmers and am having problem with the "weirs" (the little doors). (These were installed by a pool renovator who replaced my original Anthony Sylvan "round" skimmers as part of putting seamless concrete to the edge of the pool and replacing original coping; that led to tiles falling off and having A&S redoing tiles around pool. By best guess is for some reason the tile guy took the weirs out of the skimmers and didn't put back properly. That is just a guess).

The problem is both weirs are loose and end up floating in the skimmer or the pool. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them back in place! On one skimmer, a pin on the skimmer is actually snapped off and the other weir the little "sleeve" that wraps around the pin is broken. The guy that opens my pool cannot figure how to get the doors in; at the local pool store I bought a new weir for the broken one and she said you somehow have to "maneuver them in to place". From what I can see the only way to connect them properly is from the outside and once you do, you cannot get the weir door inside the skimmer (there is a "peg" attached on top of the skimmer I assume that is designed to keep the door inside the skimmer; therefore I cannot get the door outside to go inside!?!). If I try to attach the weir door by going inside the skimmer and try to attach to the pins outside, you cannot connect them!

I apologize if stupid, but is there a way to do this that I cannot figure out? Or do I need to get whole new skimmers put in that have the weir doors in place? :confused:

Thx anyone!!

The door usually goes thru the opening in the deck and then into place. Usually you can't fit it thru the pool side opening. There is a tab on the inside of the skimmer to prevent the door from flapping out into the pool.

That may be one of the ones where you have to remove the whole hinge plate, typically screws along the bottom accessed from inside the skimmer, mount the new weir to the hinge plate and then reinstall the assembly into the skimmer.

A photo is worth a thousand words.... a few photos might help us help you. I recently replaced skimmers for my A&S installed Hayward skimmers. I couldn't find a weir that would fit, so I altered a universal weir that stays in place via a spring loaded pin. I cut the oversized weir using a hack saw and trimmed the spring on the spring loaded pin. I'm a middle-aged female with few tools and it took me 15 minutes. I paid pool store prices for the weir (about $15).

No screws and didn't matter if anything on the skimmer throat was damaged. I had to take off my skimmer collar to get mine to fit through the skimmer opening.

This is similar to what I used:
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352028778.htm#description

That may be one of the ones where you have to remove the whole hinge plate, typically screws along the bottom accessed from inside the skimmer, mount the new weir to the hinge plate and then reinstall the assembly into the skimmer.

This seems like its the only way if possible. ,This model has the old permanent pins in the "hinge plate". For this model skimmer would I be able to get instructions on how to do this?

- - - Updated - - -

I may have to ultimately try something like this; however, I was told by the pool store that the spring loaded ones wouldn't hold because there is no place for the springs to go -- make sense? This old skimmer model has permanent pins in place...

- - - Updated - - -

The door usually goes thru the opening in the deck and then into place. Usually you can't fit it thru the pool side opening. There is a tab on the inside of the skimmer to prevent the door from flapping out into the pool.

Correct, which is why I cannot figure out how to put in. What you called a "tab" I had called a "peg" -- no way to get door past it!

OK..spent some time on this, including with Hayward on the phone...I have a skimmer with permanently mounted "pins" on the skimmer walls. I t appears there is no way to maneuver the door into place under this old setup. Hayward is checking around and supposed to call me back, but what is interesting, one of the pins has broken off and there is a little "hole" where the pins is. Perhaps a spring loaded replacement door would work IF I break off the other "pin" and there is a similar hole there? Anyone know what I am talking about and can comment?

Lastly, a pool repair guy said to put in a floating weir/basket into the existing skimmer basket area and forget the doors! Anyone familiar with this set up and whether it works?

I am amazed that something as simple as a weir door is so difficult to "fix" -- please help if you can!!

Thx...

Update!! And hope this helps others!

I ultimately found out that my skimmer is a Pentair S20 Admiral with the weir doors attached to permanently mounted pins in the side walls. There is no way to properly put a replacement weir door into that design; however the A&S pool guy who gave me the skimmer info from my 1999 records, said try to put the door in backwards and although not perfect it will work for the most part. Did that (duh!!) and it worked! Unfortunately, someone knocked off one of the permanent mounting pins on the other skimmer so am going to try a circular floating weir design in that skimmer. I will then see which works best and go from there...whew!!

Update!! And hope this helps others!

I ultimately found out that my skimmer is a Pentair S20 Admiral with the weir doors attached to permanently mounted pins in the side walls. There is no way to properly put a replacement weir door into that design; however the A&S pool guy who gave me the skimmer info from my 1999 records, said try to put the door in backwards and although not perfect it will work for the most part. Did that (duh!!) and it worked! Unfortunately, someone knocked off one of the permanent mounting pins on the other skimmer so am going to try a circular floating weir design in that skimmer. I will then see which works best and go from there...whew!!

Hi.

I had the same exact issue. It amazes me that they would design it so that it is impossible to properly put a new door on!

But I did take your advice and I put the door on backwards - I am amazed to see that it actually works better!
1) The current going into the skimmer is stronger because the door does not sit as flat
2) There is a lower risk of the door flipping outwards past the pin since the flat end hits the pin first instead of the curved end.

-It almost makes me believe that whomever put the door on originally, might have put it on backwards. I am thinking of breaking off the door of the other skimmer and putting in a replacement door in the backwards position!

Thanks again!
Juggernaut

Hi.

I had the same exact issue. It amazes me that they would design it so that it is impossible to properly put a new door on!

But I did take your advice and I put the door on backwards - I am amazed to see that it actually works better!
1) The current going into the skimmer is stronger because the door does not sit as flat
2) There is a lower risk of the door flipping outwards past the pin since the flat end hits the pin first instead of the curved end.

-It almost makes me believe that whomever put the door on originally, might have put it on backwards. I am thinking of breaking off the door of the other skimmer and putting in a replacement door in the backwards position!

Thanks again!
Juggernaut
Welcome! :wave:

Great first post. I'm delighted that people can find their answers using the search feature! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to the OP for coming back to update this thread, and to the others who chimed in too! I had been searching for the right weir door for my skimmer since there wasn't one when we bought the house. Thanks to this post I was able to correctly identify my skimmer as the Pentair Admiral S20, with confirmation from the picture and parts diagram in the manual which I found here:

The door finally arrived yesterday, and it snapped into place quite easily for me with the flat side facing out towards the pool. Now I have ordered the skimmer basket too, as the old (probably incorrect) one is starting to break apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.