CYA level at Zero?

I am trying to reclaim my pool after the winter as while I was gone overseas a bunch of leaves (several bushels) made there way into the pool. Got most of the leaves out. Had a swamp but now it is just somewhat green after running the filter for about 5 days. Was testing the water to determine CYA level to be able to know what level to SLAM it to but I was unable to get a CYA level using my Taylor K2006 test kit. The black dot remained visible when I filled the comparator tube all the way to the top. Do I assume that it is zero as the highest range viewable on the test kit is 30?

I was hoping to get your thoughts on how to best proceed. Thanks in advance and have a good summer!

I just went through this last week :) I cleaned the pool out the best I could and added dichlor. There is a calculator for the amount you need at the bottom of the pool calculator. I did one bag at a time, maybe 2 a day tops. It takes a while to register.

I also read there could be an ammonia problem with that much debris in the pool, and you can tell if you have ammonia I believe if your chlorine drops super fast after putting it in. I wouldn't worry about that though. Just get some dichlor to raise the CYA. Worked well for me :)

Sorry to sound like such a new guy here but can someone please advise the best product to raise the CYA, just a brand name stabilizer or is there a range of concentrations? Do you recommend putting the stabilizer in or just go ahead and SLAM the pool and then add stabilizer?

There are lot of brands of stabilizer and it comes in two forms, liquid ($$$) and power. I normally get mine at a pool store. My local wal-mart, lowes and home depot do not usually carry it. You add powder CYA by putting it in a sock and hanging it over the pool returns. You squeeze the sock occasionally. It will take a while to get into the water. Once it is in the water, it will take a week to fully register.

It is sold under several different names. The most common is stabilizer, but it is also sometimes called conditioner or cyanuric acid. Check the ingredients, you are looking for 95+% cyanuric acid. Now and then you see 50%, which is never a good deal. Mostly you can only find it at pool stores or other stores with pool chemical departments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.