Leaking plaster spa...Is it okay to leave empty?

Mar 16, 2014
California
Hi everybody,

I'm a new pool owner, but the pool is not new. We just bought a house in January with the pool that is described in my signature. I registered at TFP and PoolForum.com a few months ago and have spent many hours trying to learn the basics. Both sites have been a tremendous help. "Thank you" to everyone who contributes!

Unfortunately, I discovered the spa leaking last week. It's probably not important, but there are a few things that make me suspect it's an old leak that was temporarily fixed with one of those pour-in stop leak products. Regardless, we have a leak detection company coming out next week to try and pinpoint the source and we'll go from there.

My questions is, can I let the spa drain (via the leak) and leave it mostly dry while we diagnose and repair? I'm losing several inches a day, and water is pretty expensive in my locale, but I don't want to pay more for any damages caused by letting it sit dry than I would pay for the extra water to keep it full. The spa continues leaking until the water level is lower than the jets, then it seems to go to the regular evaporation rate, so I could keep some water in it without any abnormal water costs.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance that can be given.

- Eric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.