R-0870 - Only 1 scoop?

May 27, 2014
Northern California
Long time reader. First time poster. I finally severed my pool from the death spiral of Leslies this year. I am using liquid bleach instead of those darn stabilized pucks and my pool has never looked better. I had to re-up on my chlorine test reagents and was just reading the reviews on amazon. This is what one of the reviewers said:

" DID YOU KNOW?

The instruction pamphlet that comes with Taylor's testing kits say to use TWO scoops of this DPD powder, but if your test water sample turns pink after adding just ONE scoop of this reagent, you don't need to add a second scoop? As long as the water turns pink after adding the first scoop of powder, the testing procedure is unaffected by not adding a second scoop. What that means to you is that you can test your water for twice as many times now before you have to buy a replacement reagent bottle.

And that saves you money!!! "

I have yet to prove this to myself, but I would like to know if anyone has used this method with success? My water sample always changes to pink after the first scoop, but I have always added a second scoop, because that is what the directions I have say to do.

FWIW, when I first started using the little scoop that came with my kit I assumed the handle (looks like a small paddle) was the scoop. It never occurred to me that the tiny little scoop end could put enough powder into the sample to matter. Heck, I didn't even notice it was a scoop until I saw a picture in a thread. So I was probably adding several times the amount of the DPD powder than I should have been adding.

When I found out I was using the wrong end of the scoop and started using the correct end, my results did not change. So, for me, adding way, way too much of the powder did not affect the results. I think it's been said here before that you want to add enough of the powder to change the sample to pink. That's always one scoop for me.

You can not use too much powder, but too little can cause issues. If you are in maintenance mode (FC < 10ppm), then one scoop should be fine if you get a nice pink color. If you are SLAMing with high FC levels, that is when you likely want to use 2 scoops to ensure you have enough powder, again look for a nice pink ... too light or a flash of pink and you need more powder.

We know, my guess is that 1 level scoop may be not enough some of the time, and the people that write the instructions at Taylor think saying one heaping scoop sounds unprofessional so they say 2 scoops instead.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.