under .5 cc for a week and not clear? is algae gone?

Jul 15, 2013
Nashville TN
How do I know when my algae is gone when my pool will not clear? Its been 25 to 30 ppm free chlorine for a week. I started to let my chlorine drop down but pool store tested and said I had algae....I took sample to test for metals. They tested 0 copper 0 iron. Because of stain I think metal is in my liner not in water.

Yes...some nights I get zero loss others have been maybe .25 to .5. ccs are less than .25? I figure when your putting 60 drops in they can't be exactly same size even though I try to let gravity pull drops my hand is shaky. I know I have iron and copper in pool. But its never made it this green for this long before(if that is the problem)Last time I shocked to high levels in the 30s and got the grey white slurry and used muriatic acid to bring pH down when fc was real high. So then as FC dropped I added baking soda and it kept pH up and brought ta back in line. I know that my reading are good except CH.. Which is low somewhere just below 100. I have vinyl 16k. Sand filter I have iron staining that removes easily with vita c. I guess that I am looking for reassurance that the pool is ready for me to lower fc and tweek balance. Last time it was like magic and once ta hit the sweet spot the whole pool cleared in about 6 hours from a haze. Right now I am not to a haze....it looks like this.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20140603_202006.jpg

At the time I took that pic I was wandering what the grey white gunk was that built up at the water line. It was thick like mud and I wiped it with cloth to remove. I was not too concerned about the color at that time although I had no clue why the green tint lingered. Is it possible the bleach itself is causing this? I used 33% more great value Walmart. Its very fresh as it is barely in stock. It looks more yellow than I recall when they had 6% ...the 33% more stuff is 8.25% and when I run out I am switching to reg clorox.

I thought about de. People i know that tried it had it blow into pool. Which is odd because i would think their sand would be all over bottom of pool too if its not catching However my water was sparkling before with same setup. I just installed a new pressure gauge and it did build to 18to 20 where I left it for a while. It never created more pressure. I then Backwashed and rinsed now filtering at 12 to 14. Ive placed new thread tape on all unions and need to test some more. I know bubbles are forming from skimmer intake side that are just more annoying to me than hurting anything. 1hp super pump and 200# sand. I can vacuum entire pool and might get 1 decomposing maple leaf and a dead bug. There is no rise in pressure during or after vacuuming. Before with suspected algae present after shocking the filter was getting it all and not throwing anything through returns

OK I gave in and tried de after waiting another day since partial drain /fill. The pressure went from 12 to 22 using 1 cup...I'm gonna let it run all night and pray it works. Water is perfect except cya which is low because I drained a couple feet and filled. I repaired skimmer and stairs which were allowing metals into pool. How long do I need to wait before trying something else? I am open to suggestions.

OK I gave in and tried de after waiting another day since partial drain /fill. The pressure went from 12 to 22 using 1 cup...I'm gonna let it run all night and pray it works. Water is perfect except cya which is low because I drained a couple feet and filled. I repaired skimmer and stairs which were allowing metals into pool. How long do I need to wait before trying something else? I am open to suggestions.
Wow! 10 psi jump? Was that within minutes, or after an hour or something?

Minutes. I tried 1/4 cup and it raised psi by 1. Another 1/4 cup raised it 2 to three psi. I then turned pump off and checked the basket on pump. (Should have done this first). Cleaned minute debris from basket (magnolia bud firs) and ran pump on filter again. Psi dropped to 12 When i started pump again(original reading). Let it run for awhile and no change in psi. So I added de Again..this time 1 cup and it jumped 6 psi in a few minutes then up to 22psi within a 5 min period. So.... Maybe there was some channeling that the de caught...but if my filter was channeled would de Be able to build pressure at all? It seems like I have poor filtering on top of the metal prob. But the metal may not filter because it is chemically bonded. I guess the question now is...even with the best (within reasonable cost for most ppl) filter, could the metal be filtered from the pool? I also though about adding clarified directly into skimmer to see if metal would drop from water inside filter so I could backwash...but I am scared to because I don't want it dropping all over pool while I am at work unable to vacuum as it lays on bottom.

It is possible, though rare, for metals to be filtered out. Metals can only be filtered out if they precipitate out of the water and then clump up, something it is difficult to cause on purpose, but which sometimes happens.

Most likely you just added too much DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.