First water test

If you're filling from a municipal water system and not a well, you shouldn't need to shock. There should be no algae in tap water. Your FC level depends upon your CYA level. So the first dose of chlorine should targeted at 3, since there's no CYA in the water yet.

Thank you Richard
so I fill the pool and then I test the water and depends what number I get I follow with bleach 8,6 o 6%?
Is that Right?
Fill the pool. Get the water circulating and make sure nothing is leaking. You KNOW you will have no FC or CYA. With zero CYA, target FC is 3. You can add that as soon as you're sure you have flow. It will only take one 8 oz measuring cup of 8.25% Clorox to get there. After the bleach has had half an hour or more to mix, run all the tests but CYA. You won't have any CYA, so save the reagent. Post your results here in this thread and someone will be along to guide you.

Richard,
I can add the Clorox to targeting FC 3 during the filter is running inmidiatly its on or should I wait like a couple hours?
After 1:30 hr I test for the first time the FC, pH,TA, cH.
Thank for your help everything is getting more clear...

Fill the pool. Get the water circulating and make sure nothing is leaking. You KNOW you will have no FC or CYA. With zero CYA, target FC is 3. You can add that as soon as you're sure you have flow. It will only take one 8 oz measuring cup of 8.25% Clorox to get there. After the bleach has had half an hour or more to mix, run all the tests but CYA. You won't have any CYA, so save the reagent. Post your results here in this thread and someone will be along to guide you.

Richard,
I can add the Clorox to targeting FC 3 during the filter is running inmidiatly its on or should I wait like a couple hours?
After 1:30 hr I test for the first time the FC, pH,TA, cH.
Thank for your help everything is getting more clear...
As soon as you can see that the filter and pump are working and there aren't any leaks and the pool isn't about to tip over or anything else that would indicate you have to drain the water, add the bleach. Five minutes, maybe? I don't know. Waiting won't help any. You know there isn't any bleach in the water yet. As soon as thirty minutes later you can do all the tests - except CYA, which you know will be zero on a fresh fill.

Another question: the floater with the 1inch tablets is necessary?I mean if I add bleach regularly I dont need to have the floater with the tablets,Im I right?
That is correct. Those tablets don't just add chlorine, they also add stabilizer and lower the pH and TA. You could use them, but it would mean juggling three parameters simultaneously and that's just asking for trouble. You're starting with a clean slate; don't screw up the chemistry right from the start. Save those tablets for vacations. As long as they are kept dry, they'll last for years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks AGAIN :)
So, what about the test kit that I already have? I bought the FT100 online but it just arrive next week. Do you suggest to wait until this arrive or can I use the HTH in the meantime as well?
You don't have much choice, do you? :mrgreen:

You understand that the 3 ppm chlorine you add today will all be gone tomorrow, right? You'll need to keep adding that amount or a bit more every day, and you should get some stabilizer in the water soon, as well. Don't follow the bottle instructions. Use our way, as explained here. It won't take much in your little pool, 9 or 10 ounces, so buy the smallest package you can. You can wait until tomorrow to buy it when you make your shopping list for anything else you need. And post results after it's circulating and someone can advise if you need acid or borax or baking soda or all three.

Yes,
every evening while the filter pump is running I must add the bleach and after 1/2 hour test again.
Depends the result the MathCalculator will tell me if I have to add and how much of each.
I just bought the :-Stabilizer and conditioner HTH (cyanuric acid)
-Baking soda
-Borax
Do I need to buy the vaccum cleaner?
The CYA must be between 30-50 always? Should I only add the CYA if the test tell me is lower or higher 30-50?

You don't have much choice, do you? :mrgreen:

You understand that the 3 ppm chlorine you add today will all be gone tomorrow, right? You'll need to keep adding that amount or a bit more every day, and you should get some stabilizer in the water soon, as well. Don't follow the bottle instructions. Use our way, as explained here. It won't take much in your little pool, 9 or 10 ounces, so buy the smallest package you can. You can wait until tomorrow to buy it when you make your shopping list for anything else you need. And post results after it's circulating and someone can advise if you need acid or borax or baking soda or all three.

You might not ever need the baking soda or the borax. You might have bought it for nothing. That depends on the test results.

After you test FC each evening and add it, that's it. You don't need to recheck it.

Once you add the CYA, that's it. The only way to lower it is by splashout or draining. It only gets added once.

Add the bleach. Add the CYA, just the amount I told you, in a sock in the skimmer. Don't add anything else without testing. You only know you need bleach and CYA because it is fresh tap water. You don't know what else without testing. Do not add anything else to your pool unless you know you need it. I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

You might not ever need the baking soda or the borax. You might have bought it for nothing. That depends on the test results.

After you test FC each evening and add it, that's it. You don't need to recheck it.

Once you add the CYA, that's it. The only way to lower it is by splashout or draining. It only gets added once.

Add the bleach. Add the CYA, just the amount I told you, in a sock in the skimmer. Don't add anything else without testing. You only know you need bleach and CYA because it is fresh tap water. You don't know what else without testing. Do not add anything else to your pool unless you know you need it. I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

Hi again Richard
I dont have skimmer
A about the CYA I cant find the método explained in the forum. I put the quantity of granulated Stabilizer in a old sock attached near the filter out water. But then when I must take it off?

Hi again Richard
I dont have skimmer
A about the CYA I cant find the método explained in the forum. I put the quantity of granulated Stabilizer in a old sock attached near the filter out water. But then when I must take it off?
When the stuff has all dissolved. You can speed it up by giving the sock a squeeze whenever you go by the pool. It could take anywhere from a few hours to two or three days.

To be sure.... you did measure it out before you put it in the sock, you didn't put the whole container's worth in, right?

Hi
Thanks again
Is 9oz of stabilizer for my 1718 gal with 0 CYA right?
So I put the product in a sock and let it until dissolve but If I want to swim before it dissolve I take it out and add later right? Or should I wait the time it require to dissolve completely?
It's okay to go swimming. People add CYA all the time via floating puck dispensers and swim at the same time. If there are any kids in the pool, I'd move the sock into the skimmer lest they play with it and spill the granules out. If there is no skimmer, just set it in a bucket and put it back later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.