Storm damage ... :(

A tree fell near my pool during a nasty storm yesterday afternoon. I was just getting started on first day of SLAM to kill a small bloom of algae that was causing trouble. It may be a day or two before the tree is removed. (Waiting on insurance adjuster.) It fell right on the deck where the pump access is. So... is it pointless to continue to test water and add bleach without the water circulating? Is there anything I can do besides cleaning out leaves right now? I'll be so sad it if turns green before the tree gets moved!

Here's some pictures:
DAMAGE1_zpsb1f72d78.png

DAMAGE2_zps4fd7531a.jpg

OUCH! So sorry for what happened. At least no one was hurt (right?) and as a bonus, it missed the pool!

You can certainly keep the pool from getting any worse by clearing out leaves. Also, even if you can't run the pump, you can still add bleach and other chemicals. You would just need to manually brush very well after adding them to get them circulated. That will keep the algae monster at bay and less work when you get things sorted out. At least then you won't have a green monster after dealing with the stress of yard clean up, repairs, insurance, etc.

Best of luck with the repairs and clean up!

Thanks! I will keep the bleach poured to it this weekend then! Hopefully we will get the tree cleared away soon. And YES .... no one was hurt! Thank goodness!!! The tree feel just a few inches from the storm cellar where my husband and kids were going to take shelter. If it had fallen a few minutes later someone could have really gotten hurt!

Thankfully no one was hurt, I was in my pool one quiet evening earlier this week when I heard a loud CRRAACCCK sound and a limb about half the size of yours (probably about 20 feet long or so) fell out of a nearby oak tree and hit the ground, thankfully mine hit nothing, but did come close to my car.

The tree got cleared off the deck Saturday and I got most of the leaves out of the pool. And then it has rained and stormed non stop since then! I haven't been able to get out there to do anything, not even add bleach, and the pump has been off. I'm afraid I'm going to go out and find a swamp if the sun comes out today. Guess it will be back to a serious SLAM. :(

The tree got cleared off the deck Saturday and I got most of the leaves out of the pool. And then it has rained and stormed non stop since then! I haven't been able to get out there to do anything, not even add bleach, and the pump has been off. I'm afraid I'm going to go out and find a swamp if the sun comes out today. Guess it will be back to a serious SLAM. :(
Why couldn't you go out and add bleach and brush? You have a pool, I would think you are accustomed to getting wet :mrgreen:
We see so often people just stop pool care because of a little rain. The algae does not stop ...
Likely I am spoiled in that we hardly ever get any rain so I do not have to worry about it. ;)

Say your average depth is 50" ... 2" of rain & drain would replace 4% of your water and thus lower the CYA by around 4% (actually a little less due to dilution). So likely not even able to see that difference with the accuracy of the CYA test.

Good to know. After 3-4 days in a row of a couple inches of rain though I have a feeling I'm going to need to test it again. My house now sits on a swamp, it's a little unnerving actually and while I knew I had some drainage issues to work on, I was hoping I'd have until next spring before I really had to worry about it. Pool is still blue and clear though :).

But yeah, OP, just dump some bleach in there and give it a good brushing and you'll be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.