Bought a house with an old pool. Constant trouble!! I need to vent!!!

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
(the following takes place over the past two years).

1. purchased a house with an approx 20 year old pool

2. It had a big tree next to the pool

3. The skimmer and deck under the tree was cracking

4. Tree had to be removed (Blew dirt in the pool, looked like a swamp, water had to be replaced)

5. Got recommendations for a company to replace skimmer from pool builders.

6. Actually, the guy first recommended showed up, took measurements and never called me back

7. Unfortunately, this left me with the second company (I called their references - must have been a set up!)

8. This second company jackhammers the deck - and .... turns out THE SKIMMER IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING - It's a "Dummy" Skimmer (They should have known - right!)

9. They now have to dig about 50 feet of PVC to connect the skimmer to the pump (turns out not the same diameter of PVC as the other skimmer)

10. This is done - OK

11. They also install a SWG... but... They install the SWG BEFORE the pump (This can cause an EXPLOSION - they have no idea what they are doing)

12. They are paid thousands of dollars

13. Try to get them to come back and fix the installation, but they stop returning phone calls and I decide I don't want them near my pool because they almost blew up the pump

14. Hire another pool service guy to fix the SWG installation.

15. He also replaces the spider gasket on the Multi-Port Valve

16. Then... a few months later THE POOL STARTS LEAKING

17. Hire a Leak Detection guy (this costs too much btw)

18. tells me... THE SKIMMER WAS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY - THEY DIDN'T SEAL IT TO THE POOL - ALL WE CAN DO IS PATCH

19. They patch the skimmer for a bucket of cash

20. Six months later skimmer starts leaking again

21. They come back replace it under warranty

22. The pool is covered for the winter

23. The single power pump starts whining

24. Get a NEW PUMP - another bucket of cash

25. The valves by the pool are busted - need to be replaced - more cash

26. The multi-port valve needs to be replaced - event thought the first guy replaced the spider gasket - more cash

27. The SWG not working correctly (this is NOT a joke) - need a NEW SWG - its raining cash!!

28. Uncover the pool for the season

29. It's leaking again - NICE!

30. Looks like I have to replace the skimmer--- AGAIN!

PS. I left out the part about the electric panel for the house being too close to the pool (which was never properly permitted) and the inspector requiring extensive the electrical work including digging a new pipe across our backyard and how I ended up with a big electric meter in the middle of my backyard :x:x

OK - Vent Over

Last edited:
Breath. Relax. It's like eating an elephant, don't think of swallowing the whole thing at once, but bite by bite.
Do it right the first time. It will cost less overall.
You have the skills, the knowledge you can find here.
Good Luck!
Bob

Well, come on vent away! I can completely relate... I bought a foreclosure and the pool was a disaster... I needed to replace most of the equipment (spa blower, heater, polaris booster pump, polaris, pool pump, heater), did an acid wash and the problems still continue.

I still need to replaster the pool, replace the winter/safety cover and as some point switch to a SWG.

I have so many trees that I pull off 30 gallons of debris each day during the late spring/early summer. I also have too many trees that my pool is cold... getting rid of many trees in the coming week.

I have gained much confidence and saved a ton of $$$ since joining this website.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I also have to replace the pool and spa lighting... I'm taking my time and only replacing/repairing what needs to be replaced. I have an ugly pool, but my water is always sparkly :)

Oh, and I had to bury the electric because it the direct burial wires were laying on top of the ground, SERIOUSLY!

Well, when something doesn't go right, post here and we will help solve the problem. Trust me, someone will come along and give you great advice and they aren't trying to rip you off. Some leaks can be repaired on a DIY basis.

Also, spider gaskets need to replaced and lubed and that could have kept you from having to replace the multiport valve. Some members glue their spider gasket to the multiport valve. I have a slow leak on my multiport, but I'm not replacing it until I replace my filter.

Sounds like you need a reliable pool repair company. Ask you coworkers, or post you location and ask this community for recommendations.

How much water are you loosing? Have you done the bucket test?

Leak detection pool school and bucket test info: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/150-leak-detection

Well, come on vent away! I can completely relate... I bought a foreclosure and the pool was a disaster... I needed to replace most of the equipment (spa blower, heater, polaris booster pump, polaris, pool pump, heater), did an acid wash and the problems still continue.

I still need to replaster the pool, replace the winter/safety cover and as some point switch to a SWG.

I have so many trees that I pull off 30 gallons of debris each day during the late spring/early summer. I also have too many trees that my pool is cold... getting rid of many trees in the coming week.

I have gained much confidence and saved a ton of $$$ since joining this website.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I also have to replace the pool and spa lighting... I'm taking my time and only replacing/repairing what needs to be replaced. I have an ugly pool, but my water is always sparkly :)

Oh, and I had to bury the electric because it the direct burial wires were laying on top of the ground, SERIOUSLY!

HAHA - sounds familiar. I hear ya brotha! Hang in there!

Yes - this forum has been great. our friends here will show us the path to pool perfection.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a silver lining...

The leaking skimmer that was never properly installed is next to the old pool light.

If I am going to dig to replace the skimmer ...

we might as well replace that ancient light niche.

So I am just a bucket of money away from the color lightshow I always wanted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.