Question about Chlorine (Bleach)

Cylon

May 16, 2014
NYC
I just opened my pool and my pool pump has been under-performing for a few day (fixed now) and every night I always check the FC and CC. Last night I did the test and my results were
FC 8.5
CC under .5

This morning my results were
FC 8
CC under .5

I think based on the numbers, I pass the OCLT but I will do it again tonight just to be sure and continue SLAM today

My question is, I still have some debris in the pool such as dirt, pollen and some leaves (not many of these) on the bottom because my pump was not working to its optimum, it was not cleaning the way it should be. Will these items in the pool consume the chlorine? Should I pass the OCLT with the pool still a little dirty?

The bleach will try to oxidize those organics, but not at a fast rate. So it's possible to pass the OCLT with some crud in there. However, you fail the primary test to stop the SLAM: The water is clear. That includes walls and floors. Vacuum that crud up, clean all the baskets. The debris is still sharing the same water and FC as the stuff in the pool. Nobody but us is impressed with test results. Normal people want to see crystal clear water and no debris and a sparkle on the surface ripples that makes them say "Oooh!"

Thanks guys! Without this website I wouldn't be able to get to where I am today. Weeks ago I knew nothing about pools and now I feel more confident.

I want to stop SLAM so I can use my aquabot vacuum since I do not have a regular vacuum (I should probably get one) and clean up the debris on the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.