Up sizing to a larger pool, can I keep my old pump and filter.

So this spring as I was in the process of replacing the filter in are 18x33 AG pool I found a significant ammount of corrosion around both skimmers(when we bought the house 4 years ago the pool came with it including 2 skimmers and 2 returns on opposite ends) also quite a bit of corrosion around the bottom of the walls that I could pretty easily poke a screw driver through. It is mostly concentrated in on area, and I think I can repair it, however, the wife would rather me just replace the entire pool for piece of mind. Finally to my point, so the new pool we are putting in is going to be a 30' or 33' foot AG with 54" walls. The pump/filter setup we currently have on the 18x33, 48" walls is a 2 speed Hayward pump (1.5HP and 3/4HP respectively) paired with a Hayward Pro Grid DE 3620 with 36 sqft of filter area. The 33' pool has a lot more water than the old pool and my concern is that the filter may be too small. I typically run the pump on the low setting 24 hours a day, all summer long, and only switch to high for vacuming and back washing.(only makes my power bill go up about 10-20 bucks a month during swimming season.)

If anyone has any suggestions or thinks I need a larger filter, or just use what I have.

I looked into just buying the parts to make my filter the larger capacity filter, most everything is the same on the pro grid filters except for the filter grid and the upper half of the case, however, to buy the upper case and the filter grid to upgrade it to a DE6020 costs more than it would to buy it brand new.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Thanks
Jesse

Your old filter would be about the minimum size that you would want for the bigger pool. You will have close to double the dirt to filter out from what you have now, so that means more frequent back-washing/cleaning of filter. If it were me, I would probably just keep the old filter and see how it goes. If the frequent need for back-washing became a headache, then I would go ahead and get the larger filter.

Your pump is large enough. You might try putting your pump on a timer and only run it 4 to 8 hours a day on low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.