Pool Landscaping in New England

Conan12

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 6, 2013
Connecticut
Well the fence is in and the water is warming! The only major thing left is landscaping and I am looking for advice on shrubs/plants that can thrive in a zone 6 setting while providing a degree of privacy. In particular, one side of our pool and fence line is adjacent to the road approximately 30 feet away, so we will be looking to shield that portion as much as possible. Also, are there any long blooming summer flowers that are well suited for zone 6 climate? We have already purchased a handful of plants such as large leaf rhododendrons, andromeda, and wine rose, but anyone with any experience or suggestions to share, please do so. It is most appreciated!

There are two different types of arborvitae and I prefer to use the emerald green arborvitae which stays lean. The other major arborvitae gets way too big IMO.

I'm in zone 7a and it is hard to find one plant that blooms all summer I have the following: Coneflowers/Echinacea, daisy, a few types of iris, sage/salvia, variety of dahlias, daylily, creeping phlox (spring color), hostas (several varieties for green). I also many spring bulbs in these flower beds to add some interest in the spring.

We have arborvitae throughout our property but unfortunately the deer devour them! I'm thinking that a few pines/spruce might be a better option. Still looking for advice on favorite summer-blooming flowers for around the pool.

I am in southern Maine, Conan, and looking into this as well. How tall do you need the screen to be? I am thinking about going with something striking like Rhododendrons, which are evergreen and have the gorgeous blooms right now. I also LOVE mountain laurel, another evergreen with great flowers. I also love burning bush, which goes from a really nice green to that stunning red in fall. Another thought are rugosa roses. They are so beautiful and fragrant, and you would have a pretty good screen within a few years. All of these would be good for summer, with the burning bush and Rugosa being deciduous and providing no screen in the winter/early spring months. Arborvitae is screening our home from the road. I am glad it was done, but I would think something prettier would be nice near the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.