Advice on TA/CH

Apr 13, 2014
Northwest Indiana
I just purchased a home with a pool (in signature).

Due to a leak in the liner prior to purchase, the water level was down and algae had taken hold. I repaired the liner and SLAMed the pool. After a couple of backflushes of the DE filter, I am at a state where the water is clear and the pool is clean.

I have a TF-100 test kit. Here are my results from testing today:

FC - 10.5
CC - 0
TC - 10.5
CH - 525
TA - 370
CYA - 30
pH - 7.5

I am on well water, so I don't think there is much I can do about the CH level.

The FC is now falling down after the SLAM. I have an automatic cover, so I don't lose much chlorine to the sun.

Should I address the TA at this point? I am leaving for vacation in a week and don't want to start screwing with the chemistry and get another algae bloom while I am gone.

Welcome AJ!

Double check the TA reading please. That is pretty high so its good to be sure. Even if it is, don't focus on changing it right now. With your pH at 7.5, (also if correct,) it will take a while to bring that level of TA down.

It isn't relative to your FC or SLAM so don't worry about that. Focus always on FC and pH first, and you won't go wrong.

The TA test is sensitive to static electricity. If you haven't already, try wiping the tip of the TA titrant bottle every few drops with a damp cloth/tissue when doing the test and see if you get the same result.

I redid the test today and it came out at 360, so essentially the same.

Should I just wait and see what happens over the next few weeks?

I don't see any other issues with the pool. Water is crystal clear and FC was down to 6.5 today.

- - - Updated - - -

The TA test is sensitive to static electricity. If you haven't already, try wiping the tip of the TA titrant bottle every few drops with a damp cloth/tissue when doing the test and see if you get the same result.

I did wipe when testing. The TF-100 had a special insert about the wiping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.