Pool pump quit

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
Hello! A couple days ago when I went to turn my pump on low to backwash it sparked by the switch. I ordered a new toggle switch but the pump still won't come on. Anything else I can check or did that spark blow the motor? If the pump is blown, do you have a suggestion for a replacement? I know I want 2 speeds but what HP do I need? This one is 1.5 HP and not sure if I should get the same, more, or less. My pool and filter info is in my signature. And where can I get one for a good price? Thank you so much for the wealth of advice y'all provide!!!

a 1 HP 2 speed should be good enough. Try a google search.

A spark would prompt me to check for a tripped circuit breaker before I went and bought a new motor/pump. This is kind of like buying a new car because a headlight is out. A spark near the switch could have tripped a breaker or a GFCI. Check all of those first. If you have and know how to use a Volt/OHM meter, I would start checking for voltage at the motor and switch as well. As far a "blowing" a motor. I doubt it. Motors can take small overcurrent events for very short intervals without damage. If id did spark, I doubt there was any kind of significant overvoltage event.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.