hazy water immediately after adding hth algaecide x3.

Hi I'm new to tfp! I just bought a 14x42 3500 gallon pool 2 weeks ago. Opening went well. Now today I re shocked with hth shock n swim and added hth algaecide. My water became cloudy and blue tinted. Wondering if I need to purchase a floculant now? I vacuumed before and after adding chemicals. I do not have a good test kit just the strip I purchased at Walmart (facepalm). My levels are as follows. TH 100 FC 10/ 20 pH 8.4 TA 120 and CO 30-50. My pH was 7.5 prior to adding shock and algaecide. What now?

This is part of why we do not generally suggest the use of algaecides, or Calcium Hypo (HTH Shock-N-Swim), we also almost never suggest the use of floculants as they are generally not needed and can cause more harm than good.

Ike

p.s. also most HTH brand chlorine products contain copper, something else we tell people to avoid as it can cause blond hair to turn green as well as leave stains on your pool, a sign of problems with metals in the water is the water taking on a colored tint

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave:

Nope, don't add anything else. The cloudiness will go away in a day or two.

Right now, the best thing you can do for your pool is order up a proper test kit. You can read a comparison in Pool School or just cut straight to the answer and go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

The next thing you can do is to read the beginner's articles here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

This is an extreme case of what happens when you add too many chemicals at once. Be grateful you've stopped now, before you get to that point.

And go buy some unscented bleach at WalMart. Stay out of the chemical pool section over there. You don't need anything they have to offer, unless you want a raft or pool toys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.