Cant get control of metal staining

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

Ive been struggling with metal staining for weeks.
My numbers are where they should be. Fc 2-3. Ph 7.2. TA is low... About 40. Ill bring that up.
Ive intentionally kept my ph in the low 7s constantly. I havent shocked the pool.
I add about half a bottle of sequestering agent each week.
Yet I still get stains coming back on a weekly basis.

Not the overall pool discoloring ive gotten before i got control of it.
But many very large spots across the pool that require a bottle of abscorbic acid to remove.
This is becoming expensive and making it harder to control my levels.

Its been going on for over 3 weeks. At this point Should I just start replacing water 1/4 at a time or something? Ive really had enough of this. Its never happened to me before in 10 years.

Thanks a lot

Replacing water sounds like a good idea.

The more metals there are in the water, the more sequestrant you need to use to prevent stains from appearing. From your description it sounds like the metal level in the water is quite high, and so you haven't been using enough sequestrant. Sequestrant is also expensive, so if there is any way to replace water with metal free water that is probably worth it.

Replacing water sounds like a good idea.

The more metals there are in the water, the more sequestrant you need to use to prevent stains from appearing. From your description it sounds like the metal level in the water is quite high, and so you haven't been using enough sequestrant. Sequestrant is also expensive, so if there is any way to replace water with metal free water that is probably worth it.

Thanks a million for the help.
I am going to take your advice. I wish I knew where the metal came from. I had no issues last year. Closed the pool up. And upon opening this year it was awful. I closed insanely late last year and a storm dumped about 10 million leaves in the pool. Is it possible for them to contain so much metals?

Its amazing what one can of AA does. The pool immediately shines like new. But i know its just an illusion. Its the matrix of pools :)

I put 4 lbs AA powder in mine followed by a seqestrant. Stains lifted immed. And it was beautiful! Now waiting for cloudy water to clear from the seqestrant....have you read TFP thread on AA treatment?

I dont need help with AA treatments. As per my post, getting the staining out is easy. Keeping the staining out is another matter. Again ph kept low 7s. Chlorine well balanced. Sequestering agent put in every week. Yet staining continues to return. Which tfp thread helps with that? ;)

When you get metals in the pool you have to keep adding seqestrants. As you mentioned, you could empty the pool completely and do a refill and hope that your metal issue is gone. However, I would get your water tested before you add any into the empty pool to make sure you aren't re-adding high levels of metal back in.

Metals don't go away, you can only hold them at bay with seqestrants.

Yet staining continues to return. Which tfp thread helps with that?
I don't know exactly which thread it is but I would figure out the source of the iron.

If you haven't had issues before, then why has iron suddenly appeared in your fill water? Is it the same fill water as always? Is it from a well?

Iron doesn't come from leaves, rain water or any other source....it's your fill water (or someone is purposely introducing it which is implausible)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.