Additive to sand in sand filter?

Bobbyk

Jul 13, 2008
I have a recently installed sand filter for my 28k gal IG pool. For the previous 10yrs I had a cartridge filter, that worked fine up until last year. The algea was so bad then, and the earlier part of this year, that I was spending too much time dismantling the filter and cleaning the cartridges for my liking, hence the switch to sand. (I also switched to SW as well.) The sand filter does not do as good a job as the cartridge filter did. I heard that there is some kind of a cellulose additive I can put it the skimmer that would improve the filtering capability. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it recommended? What is it called and who sells it online?

Bobbyk Welcome to TFP
Can't help with the cellulose, but a lot of people add de to their sand filters and say it helps. you can add it by mixing a cup at a time with water into the skimmer, when the pressure goes up by 1psi that's enough. Backwash first!!.

Also there is a product called zeosand or zellbrite which is supposed to be a lot better than sand. search for zellbrite http://www.zelbrite.com/

Hope this helps. Happy Swims
Frank

Bobbyk said:
I have a recently installed sand filter for my 28k gal IG pool. For the previous 10yrs I had a cartridge filter, that worked fine up until last year. The algea was so bad then, and the earlier part of this year, that I was spending too much time dismantling the filter and cleaning the cartridges for my liking, hence the switch to sand. (I also switched to SW as well.) The sand filter does not do as good a job as the cartridge filter did. I heard that there is some kind of a cellulose additive I can put it the skimmer that would improve the filtering capability. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it recommended? What is it called and who sells it online?
Hey Bobbyk; I've been using a product called CF-138. It is a food grade cellulose additive. The sand in my systems are near 18 years old and on tap for replacement. I use this product to enhance the trapping ability of the media. It's not as good as DE(filters down to about 8 microns) but is eco friendly and okay to backwash into a storm drain system or open pond. The application is the same as DE. You can feed it through your skimmer or a side loop pot feeder as a slurry. Leslie's or other wholesale suppliers carry it. I'm in Nevada and the cost is about $42.00 for 7 lbs.
Don't let the 7 lbs. fool you. It goes a long way. Hope this quells your quandry! Wolfpack ;-)

The product I am familia with is called fiber clear and it is supposed to help improve your clarity, and you can add it to sand, cartridge, or it can be used as a safe alternative to DE. There is also a another product called zeo sand. This replaces traditional sand and is supposed to have "DE like clarity". (Although I dont believe anything except DE has that kind of clarity) but it does filter a smaller micron than average sand and is non toxic. I use it and it seem to work pretty well.

The simplest thing to use is DE. It costs less and works better than fiber. Zeo sand is another option, which would replace the sand rather than be added to it, but we tend to see a fairly high complaint rate for zeo. When zeo works it works great, but enough people have problems that I don't recommend it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.