Aqua Logic low salt level, salt level is 3200-34-- but display reading 2600

Jun 5, 2014
peoria az
I have been deep into my aqua logic salt system. My cell (Turbo 15) is clean and is 2 years old and I have taken to pool store twice to have tested and passed both times. I know I have around 3,200-3,400 salt in the water but readings are 2,200-2,700 most of the time. I can trick system by clicking on diag button each day and pushing plus and then minus and get reading up to 2,900 most of the time, then I save that setting and all is fine, until the next day, and it says low salt again. My thinking is I could get actual salt level up high enough that the board would finally ready 3,000 or so and keep running on its own, but not having much success with this.
I am thinking either my cell is bad or there is another part that reads the salt level other than cell? Just dont want to replace cell and find out I have same issue again. I have cleaned cell over and over and filters are clean.
I called Hayward, no help, I have asked every pool store I can find, no help, and no pool guy seems to know anything. Somebody has to be a wizard on this system.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Add more salt and make the SWG happy. My drop salt test reads around 3800ppm, while my new SWG reads around 3200ppm. I seem to always have a good bit of difference between my test and the SWG reading. If you think the cell is good, then just raise the salt.

Although if it turns out you need a new cell, you may have to replace the water to lower the salt level if it is too high for the SWG.

Do you know anyone else with the system? I took my cell to someone elses house when my test did not agree. It matched the readings their cell gave and my test read their pool higher as well.

Thank you for the welcome and info. That was my thinking too it its just every morning I go to turn on the pool and the readings are even lower then 2,600, sometimes into the 1800 level. Then I do the diag +- and get it to read decent enough to hit save, but it may not even last the day sometimes and the orange light is back on and not chlorinating. I wish I did know somebody to swap out cell to see.
I will add another bag of salt tonight and see if I can get it higher, but why would it keep changing the readings the next day I wonder? Do you know if there is a sensor other than cell?

The cell is only 2 years old. It seems to hold a decent reading once I do the diag +- for a day or so and then goes down. Every time I add a bag of salt I think its good and then it goes down again. is there another sensor for salt reading besides the cell?

Thank you for everybody's help, I believe I have fixed it! I got a hold of a pool rep from Hayward and he told me something that might help others with same issues. When you clean the salt cell on a stand and the cord is at the top (because the stand makes it almost impossible to clean with cord on bottom) you are most likely missing 3 small pin head sensors that are at same end of cell from cord. These build up calcium even though your blades look fine. I used straight muradic acid (which again he said will not hurt cell, and is a myth that it would) let sit 15 minutes and my cell is now reading 3300!!!! I knew salt cell could not be bad, and the board was fine as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for everybody's help, I believe I have fixed it! I got a hold of a pool rep from Hayward and he told me something that might help others with same issues. When you clean the salt cell on a stand and the cord is at the top (because the stand makes it almost impossible to clean with cord on bottom) you are most likely missing 3 small pin head sensors that are at same end of cell from cord. These build up calcium even though your blades look fine. I used straight muradic acid (which again he said will not hurt cell, and is a myth that it would) let sit 15 minutes and my cell is now reading 3300!!!! I knew salt cell could not be bad, and the board was fine as well.

Not sure this is entirely a myth. I think it's ok to do if you have massive caking but prolonged exposure to undiluted acid will corrode the plates. Anyone have any idea what the actual risk is here?

Using diluted acid (say 4 water for each 1 acid) is both safer and just as effective for all but the heaviest calcium deposits. I've also been told by two different SWG engineers that acid will shorten cell lifetime, just not by very much. Certainly, cells that are constantly getting calcium scaling and being cleaned don't last as long. However, I can't personally confirm that is because of the acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.