return hose vibrating...help!

Jul 15, 2008
I have a 27' round AGP and just replaced my old 20' Cooper Industries sandfilter and 1.5 hp Astral pump. Both were ancient and came with the house, and I constantly had pool problems. Tonight I put in a new Hayward package that came with their ProSeries S210T sand filter (21") and a 1.5 HP Power-Flo Matrix pump. The filter and pump are on a slab about 3 feet from the pool, so "head feet", as I understand it, is very minimal. Everthing is up and running beautifully, EXCEPT...there seems to be so much pressure from the filter (Hayward Vari-Flo valve) to the return jet that the hose (a think a 5 or 6 foot corrugated flex hose that came with the filter) is vibrating on the filter setting. There aren't any bubbles on the pool side from the return eye, but i do worry that the hose is "jiggling" a bit. The technical specs for the sand filter list the max working pressure (whatever that is) at 44 psi. The "pump output" listed on the Hayward site for my pump is 91 gpm at 10 "head feet" (the lowest measurement) and doesn't get to 44 gpm until around 45 head feet. The 21' filter circulates 21,120 gals in 8 hours; the 18' was just over 16k. So i am fairly sure the filter is the right size for my pool, (17,176 gals) and I have read that any AGP over 24' should have a 1.5 hp pump. Plus, it was a package, so i am assuming they sized the pump appropriately. Finally..here is the question: Should I worry that the return hose is vibrating? Do I need to install a flow meter? Or maybe a valve to adjust the output? I really appreciate any advise. I have been reading the forums here almost non-stop since i found you 2 days ago. Thanks!

What is the flow rate of the filter? you listed the max working pressure of 44 PSI (approx 102' Head)

The pump is rated for 91 GPM @ 10' Head. 10' of head is approx 4.3 PSI.

I think you are getting your flow and pressure mixed up. Yous stated that the pump "doesn't get to 44 gpm until around 45 head feet". The filter is rated for 44 PSI not 44 GPM?

1 PSI = 2.31 ft of head

If you have a pump curve for the pump: take the gauge pressure x 2.31 + (height change from the gauge to thepump (in feet)) this is the pump discharge pressure (in feet) locate this on the pump curve to get your GPM.

Example if your gauge reads 12 PSI, and there is 2 feet from the gauge height to the pump. 12 x 2.31 + 2 = 29.72 ft of head at the pump discharge.

Acamato, you are right; my limited engineering mind totally misunderstood all of the technical info Hayward threw at me, and googling just confused me more. After using your very user friendly formula, my number came within range of the max working pressure. Thank you so much. Now...since you figured THAT out...should i would about "hose jiggle"? Maybe replace the flex hose with a sturdier hose? Thank you again; you're awesome.

Welcome to TFP!!

Is the hose long enough to have a couple of feet of it on the ground? If not, the 'wiggling' and pressure from turning the pump on and off can harm the fittings the pipe attaches to :( To prevent damage, you can either get longer hoses or (as a temp fix) pound a stake into the ground and secure the hose to the stake. Sure sounds like the pump and filter are mismatched - too much pump for too little filter :evil:

Good luck with this, the others are giving great advice on the more technical aspects :goodjob:

Thank you all for your quick and sage advice! I went to Home Depot this evening and got the thing hard plumbed as recommended. No leaks, and i didn't even destroy the pool wall or return jet fittings. You people are AWESOME. I can't wait to read more!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.