Pump Pressure Help - New pool owners = )

May 27, 2014
Millbury, MA
Hi Everyone!
We are new homeowners / pool owners so are trying to research as much as we can about a problem we are facing with our pool pump. We had a 24’ circle in-ground pool with a sta rite pump and sand filter. (Hope I am saying all this properly). We had a local company open the pool for us as we had no idea what to do; they took off the top, cleaned it, put on a new gauge, and added chemicals. However they could not turn on the pump because the water low was too low. We added in water over the next few days and ran the pump for 48 hours. It was really cloudy but could see all the “junk” at the bottom. We had some pressure but not a ton; just enough to vacuum; as we started to vacuum we noticed the pressure went from like 6 psi to about 22 psi within 5 minutes. We assumed because it was so dirty it was normal and we backwashed then started again. Then all of a sudden no pressure and started blowing bubbles out of the return jets. Since this we have:

1.) Confirmed the skimmer is clean (in the pool)
2.) Confirmed the basket is clean (in the pump)
3.) Took apart the part and confirmed the impeller is clean
4.) Cleaned and repositioned the o’ring where the cover turns on at the pump
5.) Recirculated the water
6.) Added more water

Since we have done all this there are no more bubbles coming out of the return jet and it seems to have a stream of water coming in (yay) but the pressure will not go above 2 psi. Are we missing a spot to clean before calling for a service call from this company that opened our pool? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Feel free to ask for more information if needed and I will do my best to supply = )

You could have clogged your return lines when you were vacuuming. I have an attachment so that I can keep my skimmer basket in place when I vacuum so that I don't clog my return lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.