New to Pool School!!!

The long and the short of it. Me and my wife just purchased a "flipped" new home that had a 20 ft above ground pool in it. The home had been abandoned for about 4 years and the realators had no idea of if the pool not only worked but if there was any additional equipment. After a brief hunt in the garage we were able to find a hayward 1.5 hp pump and a swim pro voyager cartridge filter. The pool had no cover on it and after years of neglect had a lot of leaves and debris in it (we don’t know if someone pumped the water out or if evaportated but there was no 'sludge" in the pool). My wife having nothing better to do evidently decided to try to get this pool up and running and got everything removed except for a pretty thin layer of dirt. At the advice of the local pool company she started filling the pool up so that we could vacuum out the dirt. 2 days later We hooked everything up, made sure we were getting a strong return from the pump and the filter through the return jet and thought we were going to start the vacuum process. Unfortunately, we arent getting any type of suction when we put the vacuum plate on the skimmer. ) Im pretty confident we have the vacuum hooked up right we even went and purchased a new hose made sure it was primed by filling it up with the return jet etc but its no suction at the plate at all. Knowing that we havent even gotten to the chemical process of the pool we are a little confused as to what our options are now. Could there be a problem with the pump and filter (hence the reason it was left)? Also it’s a few stains at the bottom of the liner and a definate leak so should we just abandon ship now?? PS. the water is clear we don’t have any type of green or anything in it and it definitely seems like everything on the bottom is dirt.

Welcome to TFP!

Are you filling the vacuum hose with water by putting the end in front of the return before you connect to the skimmer?

there is not more than one skimmer unfortunately ... the suction plate as an elbow piece on it which actually is around the same height as the water in the pool so its not really "being sucked in" ... and with it attached when i put my hand in front of it i dont feel any type of suction do we need to fill the pool up more right now its about 3/4 of the way into the skimmer

Welcome to the forum.
After reading through the thread I was just going to ask for photos ;)

You might want to add some pool info:
Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.
1. The size of your pool in gallons
2. If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
3. If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
4. The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
5. If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
6. Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
7. Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.