Pool Tiles Falling Off

May 23, 2014
United States
Hello Everyone. First of all - Thanks for all the help! I've been reading the threads for over 2 years now and just joined. Divorced in 2011, I took over the care and maintenance of our pool. It was really hard at first, and the pool suffered some neglect. I'm finally feeling like I know enough to really make it fabulous again. So thank you...

The pool was built in 2008 by Custom Pools in Newmarket. Lots of rain delays and a few glitches in construction made it a less than ideal experience.

In late 2009 (after warranty ended) we started noticing the occasional loose tile. In 2010 when the cover came off, there were 10-12 gone and in the water. Each year it got worse, with the concrete and the mesh backing from the tiles falling in to the pool. I bought some marine grade adhesive that can be applied underwater, but then "life got in the way" and pool care was put on the back burner.

Cover came off yesterday and I now have about 40-50 tiles off, more mesh backing gone and crumbled concrete in the pool.

I've read that during tile installation, if the person applying the adhesive coat of is going too fast for the person setting in the sheets of tile, it sets up too much and does not create a good bond.

Before I proceed with my plan to scrape off remaining debris and reinstall with the marine grade adhesive...Has anyone had this experience before?

Thanks....Amy

Welcome to TFP Amy! :wave:

Although I can not help you with your tiles, someone here can!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.