Pump made a very unfortunate sound this morning. Can I ignore that or pending doom?

I went out this morning to turn on the pool pump and it made a very unfortunate sound. Kind of something like a muffled squeal followed by a whirring grinding sound. I shut the thing right off, opened the inline skimmer basket thing (which had water in it) and took out the grass and rolly polly bugs (pill bugs for those of you not familiar with the slang) that had accumulated - there wasn't much - and of course I turned it back on because turning stuff off and on is "fixing" it, right? Anyway, when I turned it back on it seemed fine. Everything seems to be running as normal. I know 0 about pumps. This is the pump that was attached to the pool when I bought the house last year. I am attaching pictures of it just in case there is something that would make a difference. I just found out that my daughter's drumline fees are going to be $1,000 for this year (after I agreed to sign her up for select basketball season) and it will involve a trip cross country and I will feel obligated to go as well, so if it is something that I can fix or ignore my bank account would be far happier for it. Thoughts?

I'm not sure but if turning it off and then on and it didn't make those awful sounds then I say... maybe you'll be ok! Let's how so!!!

As with all mechanical devices... From the first time you turn them on they are on their way to their impending doom. Everything from cars to cell phones start to degrade from the day they are put into service. As for your motor/pump, it is hard to say. I have one customer that has a pump that sounds like it is pumping marbles. It has done that for the last 5 years. She does not seem too concerned about it and said she will replace it when it gets bad (huh) and I had one on my pool that was a quiet as a mouse and quit after two years (go figure). Keep an eye(ear) on it and see how it acts. If it gets worse each time I would start looking for a replacement.

I like the headphones idea! A lot! It ran just fine yesterday and I went out a bit ago to turn it on and it came on without a sound. Maybe it was just a one time thing. Hopefully. If not I suppose I will learn a whole lot about pumps. Hopefully I will learn how to fix one, not how to shop for one.

Thanks for helping to quell my fears. I swear I am bleeding money right now. Dang kids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.