Newcastle, Oklahoma
Test results this morning:

FC- 2.0
CC - 0
pH - 7.3
TA - 60
CYA - 35
CH - 210

Water crystal clear on new fill thats going on 5 days old. I did have major water change yesterday as I dropped the water level down below skimmer and return to install second skimmer and return on opposite end, as I was unhappy with lack of skimming and circulation at other end. Water level back up to recommended level. My CYA was 40 before water change, now its 35.

I am losing ~3ppm FC every day with this pool and no one is swimming yet (PB said wait til saturday so sand under liner has plenty of packing time)

that seems high to me as with my old intex and no one swimming I only lost 1.5 ppm per day. Right now its taking 90 oz a day, which is 3/4 a bottle of 8.25% to maintain my FC, and im below 3ppm every morning!:eek: When we start actually swimming this thing will probably take a jug a day the rate its going. :eek:

Im thinking about taking CYA up to 50 since this pool sees direct sunlight from about 9 am to about 6-7 pm every day, as I think thats where my additional loss is coming from. It will only move my goal ppm up from 5 to 6 (I always split the difference on the TFP recommended goals on the pool calc and target in the middle of the range for my FC)

Since I work evening shift I test at 830-900 am every morning and add the required bleach for the day.

Thoughts on that before I go fill up a tube sock? I would like to get this pool down to only taking about 60 oz a day. (losing 2 ppm instead of 3)

Thanks!

EDIT - I know my TA is a little low too, i just havent had time to pick up some baking soda. Gonna do that today and aim it for ~80.

You may need the extra CYA when the sun gets hotter as the summer goes on but personally... what's an extra 1ppm. I usually dose on the high end of recommendation.

Raising the CYA is about the only way to reduce FC losses to the sun ... having a cover is the other. Sounds like a plan. When do you start work? Ideal to add the bleach in the evening so it works on the water and is not lost to the sun from the beginning.

Raising the CYA is about the only way to reduce FC losses to the sun ... having a cover is the other. Sounds like a plan. When do you start work? Ideal to add the bleach in the evening so it works on the water and is not lost to the sun from the beginning.

i work 3 pm to 1 am 4 days a week. I really wouldnt trust my testing results at 1 a.m either.... :p I tried explaining to the wife when we got our first pool how the test kit works and how to add the bleach..... the response I got was a mix of:

:shock: and :uhh:

so, I have to be the one to do it, as she looks at it like its level 3 advanced trigonometry. TBH, at first I felt the same way, but I stayed diligent and kept reading pool school.

I figured out early on with our family owning a pool.... if I die, the pool dies with me....:lol:

wont it burn off the same amount anyway, irregardless of when I add it? :confused:

I think the theory is that if you add it in the evening, your ppm will stay at desired level longer. If you add after the sun goes down and take your ppm to 6, if your only loss is from UV then it should still be at 6 in the am. That's say 10 hours of desired ppm. If you add in the morning, and lose 3ppm to the sun, then that 10 hours overnight is only at 3ppm.

My bleach consumption is pretty steady. Is it possible that your wife could just dump 3/4 or 1/2 a jug in after dinner? If you had the jugs premeasured, so all she had to do was take jug A (label this evening dose) and dump the whole thing in, could she handle that?

Unless swim load is high, my little 6600 gallon pool takes 2 cups a day pretty consistantly.

Glenn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.