Cryptosporidium closes many pools in the phx area

Jun 24, 2007
scottsdale,az
Yikes, I had never even heard of this until tonight and I had to run on over to see what you all had to say.

Also- We're about to have "mighty mud mania" day here in scottsdale. I'm not so sure I would participate...although it's probably 'new water' and not from the pool...

There are articles about it here and here. You can read about Crypto at the CDC site here.

Interestingly, the CDC guidelines for what to do with Crypto here says to superchlorinate for a total CT (chlorine in ppm times time in minutes) of 15,300. That's basically 10 ppm FC WITH NO CYA for 25-1/2 hours. The 40 ppm FC for 48 hours being done at the Phoenix pools would at first appear to be 7.5 times as high, but the pools in the Phoenix that were closed were probably outdoor pools and they probably had CYA in them. If they had 30 ppm CYA, then it would take about 40 ppm FC to be equivalent to 10 ppm FC with no CYA. So I'm guessing that's how they got to their number.

Basically, Crypto is resistant to chlorine so I've been suggesting (to anyone who will listen) using, after a diarrhea incident, an alternative such as chlorine dioxide which is at least 10 times more powerful against Crypto and would only require an overnight closure at just a few ppm of chlorine dioxide. Unfortunately, the EPA won't allow this until studies are done (at $3-4 million) to prove that the byproducts (mostly chlorate and some chlorite) are in small enough quantities even though pool water is not used for drinking purposes.

Crypto is only passed on from infected persons so you aren't at any risk in your own pool unless you invite someone over who has diarrhea with Crypto. For public pools, it's a tough situation, though use of UV and microfiltration systems will help reduce the amount of exposure, though it takes multiple turnovers to clear the water. Cyrpto does not grow in pool water -- it is an oocyst, essentially a protozoa wrapped in a very tough shell in a dormant state. It's only when it gets into your mouth and into your intestines that it comes out and parties, so to speak. :shock:

Richard

That's great information. I saw them (on the news) dumping in powdered chlorine which I'm assuming is stabilized chlorine. I wonder what their CYA is now.
They said today that the pools are closed indefinitely.

Thanks for the info.. now I feel like a smarty pants about poopy pools. :wink:

It's more likely that they were using Cal-Hypo (40 ppm FC would increase CH by 28 ppm which isn't very much). If they were using Dichlor or powdered Trichlor, well, that would not be very wise (40 ppm FC with Dichlor would increase CYA by 36 ppm while with Trichlor it would increase CYA by 24 ppm).

I heard about this on the news yesterday. I read the comments on an article they had in the on-line version of the Arizona Republic. There were, of course, some who didn't know what they were talking about saying the problem was because Phoenix doesn't maintain their pools properly!

I guess it was just in one pool, the Starlight, but they closed and are superchlorinating the rest as a precaution. I guess the first illnesses started on the July 4th weekend; one person was saying the Phoenix pools were doing something about it now only because the media got wind of it; me, I'm more apt to give the Phoenix aquatics the benefit of the doubt and say they probably just weren't aware at first it was crypto and was the pool and not just a virus going around. Normal shocking, of course, would have taken care of it if it were a virus, and not the hard to kill crypto! Yuck!

Rangeball said:
Since it doesn't proliferate in the pool, I suppose there isn't a good reliable way to test a private pool for crypto, other than someone getting sick and tracing it back to your pool?

Someone has to have crypto and get in your pool in order for it to get in your pool in the first place. That's why they say that people not get into the pool for two weeks after having diarreah. I would think the chance of crypto getting in a pool that has just a family and maybe some friends swimming in it would be low.

Update on the news this morning:

A 2nd pool had been confirmed as actually being infected with the crypto parasite. This pool is 4 miles from the first confirmed pool. Also, the amount of people suspected having been infected has risen to 58. This sudden rise doesn't surprise me; I'm sure a lot of people with diarrhea that either didn't go to their doctor went now, or ones that went before and the doctor didn't think about crypto being a possible cause, that possibility is being looked into now. Of course, I'm sure that some people who had a tummy virus or food poisoning and had swum in the past week or so are now wondering if it's crypto! :shock:

The whole thing is pretty nasty. One of my co-workers said he's not letting anyone from Phoenix swim in his pool for awhile. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.