Polaris 280 does not move

Jun 5, 2014
Dallas/TX
Polaris 280 that used to work does not move any more. We moved into this house last winter and Polaris was hooked up and working. I took it out of the pool in January and stored it. After connecting it back again few weeks ago the thing does not want to move at all. Took it to the local Leslie's swimming pool store for the inspection and the only thing they found to be an issue was the pressure relief valve that's gone bad. They've inspected inside of the cleaner, wheels. Replaced pressure relief valve but Polaris still does not move. It just sits on the bottom of the pool. Booster pump is working fine as far as I can tell and it's pumping water, even though I did notice that there's no big difference in the strength of the stream of water coming out of that line whether booster pump is off or on. The stream of water appears to be the same, I would think it would be somewhat stronger with booster pump running. Anyway, didn't think that would be cause of Polaris not moving at all as it appears to be enough water. Couple other things I've noticed: small water leaks at both of the hose swivels and constant stream of water out of the backup valve -it never stops while booster pump is running. Could swivels or backup valve be an issue? What else to check for? I'm new to this cleaner so any insight you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

Do the wheels turn? They should turn 28-32 RPM

Sounds like you may have a backup valve issue. Try running the 280 without the backup valve.
I would also replace the swivels. The leaks will at the swivels will cause less pressure/flow in turn redacting the wheel RPM's

Other things to check:
- check the filter screen in the in-line filter
- Are there valves on inlet/discharge of the booster pump? if so, make sure they are open all the way

The flow of water out of the port, when the BP is on, should be much stronger than when the BP off. Are you sure the BP is working?

With mine, the 280 stays in the pool most of the time. When the BP isn't running, the cleaner won't move. Just stays put. And there is decent flow out of the port. But once that BP goes in, off she goes cleaning while I watch, drinking a beer.

Yes, I'm sure BP is working. I can hear it when it comes on and it doesn't make any weird sound or noise. It appears to be running smoothly. It also seems to pump good amount of water through those pipes. Yep, she used to do it for me too and I would watch as well. Not any more. She's dead :-((. Thanks

Wheels are turning freely when I turn it by hand. I haven't checked RPMs. Perhaps I should take it back to the pool store and have them check RPMs. I was going to replace swivels but guy at the pool store convinced me that small leaks at swivels are to be expected. Filter screen in the in-line filter has been replaced. I don't recall seeing any valves on booster pump but I'll double check tomorrow.
How do you run it without backup valve? Just take the whole backup valve out?
Thanks for replying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.