My pump is pretty loud. Is this normal?

Mar 19, 2014
Oxford, MS
[video=youtube;q0ZfqyHMBYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZfqyHMBYk[/video]

Are these bad bearings or something else? Would I be better off repairing this pump or replacing it with a 2 speed? Is it as simple of a job as it seems? Please ignore the splashing water, I removed and replaced the lid right after the video, guess i didn't have a great seal, it always sounds like that though. It's running on 230V, 1 HP.

2 other questions that are somewhat related:

1) is not having GFCI in-line with any of the pump, lights or deck outlets as stupid of an idea as I'm assuming it is? Is my only option with 220 a GFCI breaker? Why would someone build a pool in 2002 and not put in GFCI, just being cheap because it was in the county at the time?

2) Can I put a SWG behind the pump on the same 220 line/breaker, or do I need an electrician to do another run? (I think I'm out of space on my panel).

A couple of years ago we had a new pool guy do our pool opening. The pump was so loud I figured I needed to replace it. Thanks to advice from this forum I checked the 2 drain plugs. The new pool guy forgot to snug these plugs and the noise was horrendous. So check the drain plugs, my Whisperflo pump has 2.

Tom

What about that little bit of water squirting out of the lid when you shut it off? You have a pretty good sized air bubble there. I'd check the O ring, and add some O ring lube to help seal it up nicely.

What about that little bit of water squirting out of the lid when you shut it off? You have a pretty good sized air bubble there. I'd check the O ring, and add some O ring lube to help seal it up nicely.

That bubble can be caused by loose drain plugs, but the water squirting out of the lid is a sure sign that the gasket needs replacing, the cover isn't tight enough, or there is a crack somewhere. Try removing the cover and the gasket. Clean the gasket, the cover, and the housing really well. Inspect the gasket for cracks or deterioration. Replace if needed. Lubricate the O-ring with a non-petroleum based lube. Then reinstall, making sure the cover is tight and seated properly.

And don't forget those drain plugs. Air in the system can make the pump really loud. Let's hope that's all it is because that's an easy and cheap fix.

Tom

The NEC does not require your pump to be wired with a GFCI breaker; however the circuit to your service receptacle and to the light Must be GFCI protected. Typically it is a separate 120v circuit and is protected at the receptacle by a GFCI outlet which then feeds on the load side to the light. I doubt that any pool or electrical contractor would have installed a light with no protection. Double check your configuration, should be a double pole breaker for the pump and a additional 15 or 20 amp single breaker for the light.

[video=youtube;q0ZfqyHMBYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZfqyHMBYk[/video]

Are these bad bearings or something else? Would I be better off repairing this pump or replacing it with a 2 speed? Is it as simple of a job as it seems? Please ignore the splashing water, I removed and replaced the lid right after the video, guess i didn't have a great seal, it always sounds like that though. It's running on 230V, 1 HP.

2 other questions that are somewhat related:

1) is not having GFCI in-line with any of the pump, lights or deck outlets as stupid of an idea as I'm assuming it is? Is my only option with 220 a GFCI breaker? Why would someone build a pool in 2002 and not put in GFCI, just being cheap because it was in the county at the time?

2) Can I put a SWG behind the pump on the same 220 line/breaker, or do I need an electrician to do another run? (I think I'm out of space on my panel).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.