Baquacil to Chlorine Conversion Commencing Soon...

Jun 4, 2014
Eastern Tennessee
Hello everyone!

I've been reading a lot about the Baquacil to chlorine conversion on this forum. I can't wait to have a much less troublesome pool after it's all said and done.

I ordered the TF-100 XL test kit on Tuesday. Looks like it will be here tomorrow! It looks like I'll be starting the process Friday afternoon after work. I bought sixty 121 oz 8.25% bleach bottles from Costco a couple days ago. I kind of have a feeling that may not be enough, but we'll see. I'll be trying my best to test every hour and top up to 15 ppm over the weekend.

Does the TF-100 XL test kit come with enough reagent for all of the testing I'll be doing and then some after the conversion? I saw in the description it was commonly used with Baquacil conversions.

Also, when should I stop adding chlorine every hour or so and focus on when the sun is not shining on the pool such as the evenings? I've read some people start this when the FC loss is only a few ppm with each test.

I have a 30 foot diameter round, 4 foot deep above ground pool with a vinyl liner. So roughly 21,000 gallons of water. Right now there is a slight oxidizer residual and a sanitizer level of about 30 ppm according to the test strips but you know how reliable those are.

Here are some pictures of all the bleach and the pool right now. I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures of the pool during the conversion as this thread is worthless without them. ;)

This picture below is a better representation of the pool's cloudiness.

Thanks in advance!

My test kit came in today. Tested the pH and TA. pH was 7.8 and TA was 110. I ran to Lowes and picked up a gallon of muriatic acid and added about half a gallon to get the ph down to 7.2 using the pool calculator. I'll check the ph again tomorrow before I start adding bleach. Looking forward to it! :D

You can slow down on the chlorine addition when your FC stops dropping so rapidly. If it's holding after an hour, check it in 2. If it's holding at 2 hours, check it in 3. It will be a play by ear thing and anything goes! DO NOT add any stabilizer to the pool until you are nearly complete! The only thing you will be checking for is FC and CC until your CC's are down to nearly 1ppm and you can change the sand, keep SLAM'ing and then finish it off with an OCLT and stabilizer.

Don't forget to take pics! You may need more Clorox! :mrgreen:

Looking good. I helped my sister with hers. Don't worry about testing for cc's until you FC starts to hold. Just know that you WILL have cc's. It will save on your regents. Sounds like you have a good game plan going. The better you can maintain it the faster it will go. Just remember it will take time so keep after it. It will be well worth the trouble to be troublefreepool down the road.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I remember right it was right at a week from start to OCLT. It started to hold somewhat about 10 hours in. We ran the filter in bypass at night because of the pressure rise. We hit it like your plan. Every hour until it started to hold then 2 and so on.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Good deal. Tomorrow is supposed to be mostly cloudy so good day to hit it hard. My FC hasnt decreased much after the first test.

I added enough bleach to get to 15 ppm each time each hour. The first test showed FC 1, the next showed FC 12, and the next showed FC 13.

I was expecting a much higher decrease with each test.

As of this morning I've used 19 jugs of bleach. I am just going to be dosing once in the morning and a few times in the evening since the sun will not be shining on the pool during these times.

I tested the water this morning and had an overnight FC loss of 3.

Here is a picture of the pool this morning:

Hopefully, the conversion will be complete next weekend.

On a side note, I went ahead and bought 77 lbs of 20 Mule Team Borax to add after the conversion is complete and the water is balanced. Will be buying the muriatic acid that goes along with this process when I buy the CYA later.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I ordered one of those magnetic Speedstir things! Can't wait for it to come in. I should have bought one to begin with. They look so cool and fun to use. :)

Up to 32 jugs of bleach now. The pool is looking better every day.

Here is a picture of it yesterday. You can see the bottom and the water is relatively clear. Has kind of a radioactive green color to it. :mrgreen:

Here is a picture of the pool today. Less green than yesterday.

All finished with the conversion! Changed the sand out yesterday and added the CYA. Used a total of 42 bottles of 8.25% bleach.

Here's a picture of the pool with the used bleach bottles put to good use ;)

I also just added the borax tonight to get the borates up to 50 ppm. Looking forward to seeing how they affect things.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.