Cya test results huge variation!

Jun 1, 2014
Palmdale/ca
Leslie's has been telling me my CYA level is off the charts and I need to drain my pool. Went to an independent pool store and they tested my water and show my CYA level at about 40, with two different test kits. So who do I believe?

Independent store is where I bought my current liner, that appears to be stained light green and they now tell me it's been discontinued because they tended to stain easily, grrrrrrr!

What JVTrain said is true, the CYA test is the one that pool stores tend to get the most wrong, it really takes time, patience and proper lighting to get right, and pool stores tend to have none of those three. So I suggest you get your own quality test kit, I use the TF-100, see my signature for the link, then you can test it yourself and repeat the test if necessary until you are confident in the results.

Ike

Test Strips vs Reagent type tests? Two different brands of test strips showed 30-50 range for CYA and Leslies reagent-type test showed 100+ and said that the test topped out at 100. Shouldn't they at least be in the same "Ball Park"?

I have to agree with everyone else here. I've used test strips (on a hot tub back in the day)...they are unreliable. Sometimes they are accurate and others they aren't.

Pool store testing accuracy has many variables. Way too many for this science geek. If you get one of the recommended test kits per this forum. You will be able to trust your results. you won't have to second guess anything IMO. Keep the test kit inside when not in use so nothing gets too hot/cold and you'll have success.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.