Hi all,

Test as of 30 minutes ago:

(25Gal in ground pool, vinyl)

FC 1.5
TA 60 (it was 70 last year)
CYA 20 (it was 60-70 last year)
PH 7.8
CH 50

I have small amount of algae present (of course at this FC level I would) Lots of rain lately. My pool is full sun all day. (when it's not raining :)
It's not holding chlorine. I have not shocked, but added 2-4 gal of 8.75% bleach every other day and still have low FC.

This is my second season with BBB . I have lower TA levels and lower CYA levels than all of last year. I would like to know if I have to also address these other levels. They seem on the low end of acceptable but are different than all of last summer when my pool was perfect.

I know I have to shock to get rid of the algae, but should I raise the CYA and TA before shocking?

Thanks for any help

What test kit do you have? Generally you test for FC and write down that reading. Using that test sample you would add another reagent and check the results which would be total chlorine.
You then subtract FC from that to give you the combined chlorine reading.

CC=TC-FC

John

Hello again......

New test results (and if I had read the FC test all the way to the bottom it clearly stated how to do the CC test....thanks!)

CC .5
FC 5.5
PH 7.5
TA 60
CYA 0

I have to raise my CYA from what I imagine to now be 0 to 70 (filled the tube all the way to the top and can still see a blurry, but there, black dot)

I have a full sun all day long situation and my CYA should be, and was last year, 70.

The PoolMath chart says I need to add 239 oz of dry stabilizer. :(

I still have to shock, do I have to wait until the stabilizer is registering before I can continue to shock? (you say it takes a week to show a proper reading)
Thanks

Do not add all the stabiliser if you have not already done so.
If the dot is blurry in any way, it means you have *some* CYA, but less than 20.

Since you have algae, you will need to SLAM your pool - we don't use the word "shock" because it is not a one-time application of a product, but rather a continuous process.

You need lower FC (and therefore less bleach and $$$) to SLAM at CYA 20 than at CYA 70. (See the Chlorine/CYA chart)

You mentioned you have been adding bleach, with the high CC reading I suspect you had the CYA to ammonia conversion, this confirms you need to SLAM.

Last edited:
Yep, as Abigail said, you do not want to add CYA to raise to 70 until after the SLAM is completed.

If you are losing too much FC to the sun during the day, you could add enough CYA to reach 30-40ish via sock method.

I still have to shock, do I have to wait until the stabilizer is registering before I can continue to shock? (you say it takes a week to show a proper reading)
When CYA has dissolved from the sock (squishing the sock helps) consider it "in" the pool and adjust your FC values accordingly. But, don't test for about a week.

I do not think you had CYA/ammonia conversion since you only reported .5CC.

Your #'s are fine to start the SLAM. Use a SLAM FC level of 10FC. Start SLAM.

After you are done w/the SLAM, you could raise the TA a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.