Is my filter okay?

Jul 24, 2013
Blair, Nebraska
My pressure gauge never goes above 20psi. Right after a backwash it's 16psi. The filter can be totally clogged and very little water coming out of the return and the pressure still reads 19-20psi. I replaced the 150lbs of sand this spring with fresh pool sand.

I just backwashed the filter then put my hand over the return to block it to try to increase pressure. Pressure went to 20psi and I hear a sound from inside the filter itself, like water being pressed through a small opening.

Could I have a problem with the filter itself or should I try another pressure gauge?

The filter sounds fine but probably a little small for that size pump. You'll need to report more information about your plumbing for one of the pump experts to help you further.. Filter size, pipe size and length on return and intake and number of elbows, number of intakes and returns, size of hole in the return eyes. List anything else you have attached such as heaters or tablet feeder.

You may find that downsizing to the 3/4 hp impeller would be a good option.

A 2-speed 3/4 full-rated or 1hp uprated pump would would be the first long-term change I would recommend.

In the meantime, Use a larger return eye to lower your low end psi. If you're wanting to see more change on the pressure gauge and you current one is 60 psi, use a 30 psi gauge. Putting a 3/4hp impeller on your current pump would make it a better match for your current filter, but a two speed is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.