Compupool CPX-36 Install and Review

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
I had a Compupool CPSC-48 that I've replaced with a CPX-36 unit. That's a whole another story, but here's my review of the CPX-36 and install.

Overall the unit is easy to install with basic electrical and plumbing skills.

The unit comes with 2 unions designed to fit 2 inch PVC piping and you will need to purchase reducers to fit 1.5 inch piping if that is what you have. They're inexpensive about $2.00 per fitting (you'll need 2 of them). The CPSC series would fit both 1.5 and 2 inch PVC Piping.

You need to cut out about 14 inches of piping to install the cell. I cut out where I had my other cell. It went in no problem. The don't forget to put on the threaded collars prior to gluing, it might even be better to dry fit it all together first. Unions, collars and the cell.

I used the blue glue PVC to put it all together it's quick acting.

The cell comes with a 15 foot cable that has a quick connect to the bottom of the power supply. The power supply is pretty heavy and the power cord is about 6 feet long. The power supply will run on 120 or 240 volts. It comes wired for 240 volts. The conversion is a 5 minute job. Take off the 6 screws from the bottom holding the front panel on and change 2 wires. The actual directions are in the owners manual.

I've got my unit hooked up to the timer that turns on the pump. Currently I'm running about 10 hours and it's set at 50%. I'll take a week or so to get it dialed in.

The actual cell design flow is also different, you can see into the cell, and the bubbles coming off the plates but you can't see the plates as easily as you could in the CPSC units.

I'm also having an issue when my pump is on low (22 GPM) and the power supply at 100% my cell will kick off in about 2 minutes due to the gas forming in the cell. A majority of the water goes straight through the cell with a portion passing over the plates in the full flow. With the pump on high (55 gpm flow) it's not an issue. This isn't an issue if you rotate the cell 90 or 180 degrees. Spoke with Jason at Compupool and he stated this was acceptable.

When you install the unit the wire connector goes on the the up stream side of the flow.

Overall I'm happy with the working unit.

More to follow.

Photos of my install:
https://plus.google.com/photos/111734274258665230035/albums/5932487285615631921

DSC00799.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

DSC00804.JPG
DSC00781.JPG
DSC00783.JPG

Interesting. I just installed a CPX-36 about 6 weeks ago and the cell is a different design. Mine has a third port that needs to be capped (cap included). The idea is to allow for different installation configurations. Also, my install manual specifed that the part of the cell where the cord is should be oriented "up". Different designs already?

https___www.inyopools.jpg

Yes. Flow detector comes first. But also, my manual specified that it should be installed so it is "on top" of the cell, like in the diagram I attached. From your photos, it looks like yours is installed on the bottom. You might try rotating your cell 180 degrees.
I can't imagine that it would matter, but who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the fix if you're getting too much air in the cell. Rotate it. if you notice the cells plates are mounted off set. The water flow is quicker were the cells aren't, so the gas get's trapped in the top portion of the cell. When you rotate it the gas rises, and get pushed out by the water flow because it's less restricted.

CPX-36 update and Pool Chemical measurements.

Hello All,
So far I've been pretty happy with the CPX-36. No issues and it's running like a champ.
7/1 numbers FC-3, TC-3, CC-0, PH 7.7, TA-70, CH 475, CYA 50, Borates 40.5. Added 3 lbs of CYA to bring it up to 71, and 4 lbs of Boric acid to bring it up to 45. (Purchased 25 lbs earlier in the season just added the rest of the order). Pump runs 10 hours, SWCG is on 60%.

Re: CPX-36 update and Pool Chemical measurements.

Is the swg still doing good? I'm debating which swg to buy for the upcoming pool season. I'm stuck between the pentair ic60 and the compupool cpx48. They are the only two with high enough outputs at the right price. Hayward doesn't make one big enough, and autopilot is too expensive. The ic60 is just shy of a grand, and the cpx48 is a couple hundred less. My hold back on pentair is my piece of **** pool light. I wonder about the quality of their other products. Reading about your cpsc experience scares me away from compupool. Any issues with this one? I remember several people talking about their compupool units tripping the internal breaker. That's just unacceptable to me.

So far I'm very happy with the CPX. compupool is located in Florida about 60 miles from me. Their support has been outstanding. The CPSC series worked well when it ran, but it did have issues. These issues appear to be fixed in the CPX series.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cell of my CPX I run upside down. I run on low speed approx 24gpm and the cell would fill with air for to the low flow with the cell inverted it works fine. I did call the service dept and the said it was ok to run that way. No issues. My setup is 115v.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Looks like they've updated their site: http://compupoolhelp.com/cpx-series.html

Interesting. I did a quick compare between their Infinity series and the CPX series. They're very similar. You can compare the parts diagram and a lot of the parts are interchangeable, the manuals are almost identical. It appears the interface is changed.

My cell looks to be an infinity cell (prototype). No 3rd plumbing option. But my display unit is the CPX series.

The Infinty series includes a 3rd year; from the manual: 12.1.6 Third Year. Parts supplied from our facility or returned for repair to our facility at 66% of normal cost of parts and repair labor. Compu Pool will cover the cost of return freight only.

Compupool are made in Australia with the US distributor being located in Florida.

The controller on my CPX24 started to run really hot after about 6 months of working fine. I sent it in under warranty. 4+ months & boat loads of emails later, I finally got the controller back with what looks to be a refurbished cell. It seems to be working properly again at least.

I also run at low at low flow, 23gmp, and get lots of air build up in the top of the cell. I've tested out the upside down technique, and it does remove the air build up, but with the sticker on top of the "new" cell that says "Warning the cell must be installed with this side facing upward", I'm a bit hesitant to run it upside down for any length of time.

Yeah, I understand. That's why I called Jason and documented it here. My cell was filling with gas and shutting down. That was the way to keep it running, about 10 months of operation this way no issue. If it's not shutting down then there's no issue. If it starts shutting down you could call them.

Compupool CPX-36 Install and Review Update

May 17, 2015
Hello All,
I've installed a pool cover. Water temp is 82 or so. All is working well. I'm running about 12 hours a day on low pump speed (approx. 21 gpm), CPX-36 is set 100%. Overall I'm happy with the unit. Had a couple hick-ups that have been resolved. Have young ones now that use the pool every day or so. So yes there is "P" in the pool. :)

I have a CPSC24 that has run flawlessly for 3 years now. I do not think that their polarity switching does as much to clean the cell as I would like. Now I know my CH is high and likely causes some of my scaling but I find myself cleaning my cell every couple weeks during the swimming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a CPSC24 that has run flawlessly for 3 years now. I do not think that their polarity switching does as much to clean the cell as I would like. Now I know my CH is high and likely causes some of my scaling but I find myself cleaning my cell every couple weeks during the swimming season.

You can go into the maintenance menu setting and change this. 1) Turn off the power at the source (your electrical breaker).
2) Hold down the “Superchlor” and “Winter Mode” buttons simultaneously while switching your breaker back on, and continue holding them down for ten seconds. 3) The “Maintenance Menu” should appear on the screen. Press “select” to cycle through the options. Somewhere in there it shows the number of hours between polarity switches. I changed mine to a shorter duration when I was having scaling issues and it helped. However, it evidently decreases the cell life - not sure by how much or where I read that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.