upgraded to variable speed motor/ should change out impeller?

Jun 4, 2014
lexington ky
Hey first post here,

I upgraded from a 3/4 hp with 1.65 service factor to a ecotech ez variable speed motor. The ecotech has a 2.4 thp rating. this is coupled to a Hayward superpump with the 3/4 hp rated impeller. would it be beneficial to upgrade to a larger impeller to increase water flow at the slower speeds of the vs motor? currently have sand filter rated at 50gpm and 1.5 inch suction and return piping. the impellers are around 25 bucks from hydropool.com so not a huge investment but don't want to waste my time and money if it would not be beneficial. the pool is 18x36 inground with approx. 24000gallons.

thanks for any insight and let me know if any more info is needed.

bobby

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Generally the way these pumps work, the more water you move, the higher the electrical bill. So if you NEED more water flow, then replace the impeller, but realize it is likely going to also cost more to run the pump, even at the same RPM.

Theoretically, a larger impeller run at lower speeds to achieve the same flow rate as the smaller impeller should result in an improvement of efficiency. There are less re-circulation losses in the pump chamber with a larger impeller. How much though is hard to say but if you compare the Intelliflo VS (3 HP impeller) with the i1 (1 HP impeller) at the same flow rate, the VS is less than 1% more efficient at the same flow rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.